1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Fine Tuning Focus values from NIKON?!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by basharar, Jul 11, 2008.

1. I ran across this youtube video, towards the end, it mentions specific values for some nikon lenses, not sure how authentic is that, i will test and see, if someone else is interested...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zLCnb_DWbvo

2. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    I have no idea where he got the info. Also, doesn't have have the front/back focus adjustments backwards? I don't think they have a clue... LOL.

3. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    Actually what worries me the most is that the AF-S lenses are not affected by it... my experience says otherwise... what do you think??

al

4. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Maybe that's the bizarro Nikon.

5. This video just does not seem to be correct, and is not too clear. And this is the first time I have ever heard Nikon specifically state actual correction numbers for a designated lens.

As well, I have not heard of AF-S lenses not included. Nikon has specifically told me that AF-S lenses can be adjusted internally, but nothing to the note that AF fine tune will not also possibly correct.

The AF Fine tune is actually moving the zone of accurate focus up or down. If the zone is in front of the focus point, it needs to be moved up(+). If it is behind, it needs to be moved down(-).

mike

6. andrzejmakal

andrzejmakal

Apr 30, 2008
    Poland
    ????????????

It cannot be from NIKON IMHO

7. Some of the old primes where designed for film camera, it would make sense that they have some better values to perform on newer digital cameras not to mention the whole new D3 focusing system.....I am not saying the AFS lenses dont have values, BUT they are more optimized for the newer bodies, not to mention that they have more recent production dates and more modern calibrations... just speculating....

8. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    perhaps, but you can't deny it is odd only him having these values... so far... I don't want to bash nor anything, just would like to see a document that you can download from Nikon website that states these "known AF tune correction factors" for non AF-S lenses...

IMHO, AF fine tune varies from lens to lens, perhaps these are starting reference values, nothing more... my experience with the AF 50 f/1.8 is a +5 and not a minus something as stated... and that AF-S lenses ARE affected by the fine tuning.

just my 2 cents.

9. NOT from Nikon -- this is Joseph Nicholas Spina a/k/a Darth Vader II of DP Review fame who also tried to "blend" his D3 and (in)famously poured goup all over a D3 . . .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3hjBv9wYOEE

He's a deaf 20 year old kid who fancies himself to be "Director of Photography" for National Geographic (I kid you not read his bio).

http://www.photozoid4d.com/

He seems to revel in the attention.

10. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    his new bio is available soon... ?!?! Now we will never know if he is really NGeo director!!! (it's been years since I bought my last copy)

11. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Look at it closely... He tells you to use negative numbers for a lens that front focuses (move the focal plane away from the subject???) and use positive numbers for a lens that back focuses (move the focal plane towards the subject???). Exactly the opposite of what you really need to do...

12. If his table is correct, then I really have a problem with my 105mm DC F2 lens! It focuses dead on as it should without his +9 factor!

My 24-70mm F2.8 did suffer some front focusing and I sent it to Nikon Repair for adjustment. Now it is dead on as well. My micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8, 14-24mm F2.8, and 70-200mm F2.8 are all dead on without any AF Fine Adjustment.

My thought is that it is best to ignore his input.

Regards,

13. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

You cannot set every model lens to a certain number, if that is what is being said.

14. Exactly. My understanding of the whole function was that it allowed you to set unique values for lenses that maybe weren't as accurate at focusing out of the factory as they should be.

And regarding the AF-S lenses, this is the first thing Nikon adjusted when I took some AF-S lenses to them that had focusing issues....

15. what a scam, the power of the internet!
    Nikon Master Director, National geographic Creator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.