1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Finished editing Polish Folk Dancers' performance

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    This was the 1st time I've seen a stage performance since I was in H.S, and the 1st time I've shot anything like this. Sure wished I could've sat back & enjoyed it, instead of having my eye glued to the camera's eyepiece :cry:  They performace was absolutely outstanding, and they really danced their a$$es off!
    But I'm pretty disappointed overall with my results though. Needed a much faster shutter for this kind of action. I went to manual exp based on a couple test shots in A mode. This was a big mistake.
    At any rate, here's a few of the better ones out of the 6 gigs of shots I took, even though their kind'a soft. Many were motion blurred & unusable. They're also fairly small since I wanted to keep them dialup friendly. Any comments welcomed. A couple more here, with more added as time permits:
    http://www.pbase.com/sshyone/polish_folk_dancers_05

Backstage just before curtain call:
    original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

2. These look good Steve, shooting performances can be real hard unless they have some pro lighting involved. It makes a world of difference. Think what you posted here looks great maybe the WB seems a little off.
    When I shot a high school play last year with the D2H this was the exif from my shots and it seemed to get good exposure. So next time refernece these and give them a try
    Date/Time 13-Nov-2004 21:28:29
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2H
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 180 mm
    Exposure Time 1/640 sec
    Aperture f/2.8
    ISO Equivalent 800
    Exposure Bias -1/3
    White Balance
    Metering Mode center weighted (2)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
    Here are the results
    original.gif

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow Mike, now that's the type of results I was *hoping* for!

I see you were @1/640th here, and I was shooting from between only 1/80 on the wider end to only 1/125th on the longer end with a monopod. I brought both my 28-70 2.8 and my 70-200vr 2.8. Also, I stopped down to f3.2, thinking I needed greater DOF, since the dancers were frequently paired up. Shame I wasn't able to see they were looking so soft with the few I reviewed in the LCD, but that's the learning experience, I guess. :?
    PS, I see what you mean re the WB. These shots were preset @Incandescent -1. I went into NC and redid them setting the grey point. Thanks!

5. Well done Steve!! :D  :D  :D 

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Mike, that high school must have a solar flare for a spot light, 1/640th at f/2.8! Holy cow, I can barely get those shutter speeds under stadium lights at ISO 800.

7. Twig
    Wit the background so dark I used center weighted and it read a much higher shutter speed as the same exposure using matrix metering. The lights are very nice this auditorium is brand new

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.