Finished editing Polish Folk Dancers' performance

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    This was the 1st time I've seen a stage performance since I was in H.S, and the 1st time I've shot anything like this. Sure wished I could've sat back & enjoyed it, instead of having my eye glued to the camera's eyepiece :cry: They performace was absolutely outstanding, and they really danced their a$$es off!
    But I'm pretty disappointed overall with my results though. Needed a much faster shutter for this kind of action. I went to manual exp based on a couple test shots in A mode. This was a big mistake.
    At any rate, here's a few of the better ones out of the 6 gigs of shots I took, even though their kind'a soft. Many were motion blurred & unusable. They're also fairly small since I wanted to keep them dialup friendly. Any comments welcomed. A couple more here, with more added as time permits:
    http://www.pbase.com/sshyone/polish_folk_dancers_05

Backstage just before curtain call:
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.

2. These look good Steve, shooting performances can be real hard unless they have some pro lighting involved. It makes a world of difference. Think what you posted here looks great maybe the WB seems a little off.
    When I shot a high school play last year with the D2H this was the exif from my shots and it seemed to get good exposure. So next time refernece these and give them a try
    Date/Time 13-Nov-2004 21:28:29
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2H
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 180 mm
    Exposure Time 1/640 sec
    Aperture f/2.8
    ISO Equivalent 800
    Exposure Bias -1/3
    White Balance
    Metering Mode center weighted (2)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
    Here are the results
    original.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow Mike, now that's the type of results I was *hoping* for!

I see you were @1/640th here, and I was shooting from between only 1/80 on the wider end to only 1/125th on the longer end with a monopod. I brought both my 28-70 2.8 and my 70-200vr 2.8. Also, I stopped down to f3.2, thinking I needed greater DOF, since the dancers were frequently paired up. Shame I wasn't able to see they were looking so soft with the few I reviewed in the LCD, but that's the learning experience, I guess. :?
    PS, I see what you mean re the WB. These shots were preset @Incandescent -1. I went into NC and redid them setting the grey point. Thanks!

5. Well done Steve!! :D :D :D

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Mike, that high school must have a solar flare for a spot light, 1/640th at f/2.8! Holy cow, I can barely get those shutter speeds under stadium lights at ISO 800.

7. Twig
    Wit the background so dark I used center weighted and it read a much higher shutter speed as the same exposure using matrix metering. The lights are very nice this auditorium is brand new