Finished editing Polish Folk Dancers' performance

This was the 1st time I've seen a stage performance since I was in H.S, and the 1st time I've shot anything like this. Sure wished I could've sat back & enjoyed it, instead of having my eye glued to the camera's eyepiece :cry: They performace was absolutely outstanding, and they really danced their a$$es off!
But I'm pretty disappointed overall with my results though. Needed a much faster shutter for this kind of action. I went to manual exp based on a couple test shots in A mode. This was a big mistake.
At any rate, here's a few of the better ones out of the 6 gigs of shots I took, even though their kind'a soft. Many were motion blurred & unusable. They're also fairly small since I wanted to keep them dialup friendly. Any comments welcomed. A couple more here, with more added as time permits:
http://www.pbase.com/sshyone/polish_folk_dancers_05

Backstage just before curtain call:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These look good Steve, shooting performances can be real hard unless they have some pro lighting involved. It makes a world of difference. Think what you posted here looks great maybe the WB seems a little off.
When I shot a high school play last year with the D2H this was the exif from my shots and it seemed to get good exposure. So next time refernece these and give them a try
Date/Time 13-Nov-2004 21:28:29
Make Nikon
Model NIKON D2H
Flash Used No
Focal Length 180 mm
Exposure Time 1/640 sec
Aperture f/2.8
ISO Equivalent 800
Exposure Bias -1/3
White Balance
Metering Mode center weighted (2)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
Here are the results

Wow Mike, now that's the type of results I was *hoping* for!

mike mac said:
These look good Steve, shooting performances can be real hard unless they have some pro lighting involved. It makes a world of difference. Think what you posted here looks great maybe the WB seems a little off.
When I shot a high school play last year with the D2H this was the exif from my shots and it seemed to get good exposure. So next time refernece these and give them a try
Date/Time 13-Nov-2004 21:28:29
Make Nikon
Model NIKON D2H
Flash Used No
Focal Length 180 mm
Exposure Time 1/640 sec
Aperture f/2.8
ISO Equivalent 800
Exposure Bias -1/3
White Balance
Metering Mode center weighted (2)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
I see you were @1/640th here, and I was shooting from between only 1/80 on the wider end to only 1/125th on the longer end with a monopod. I brought both my 28-70 2.8 and my 70-200vr 2.8. Also, I stopped down to f3.2, thinking I needed greater DOF, since the dancers were frequently paired up. Shame I wasn't able to see they were looking so soft with the few I reviewed in the LCD, but that's the learning experience, I guess. :?
PS, I see what you mean re the WB. These shots were preset @Incandescent -1. I went into NC and redid them setting the grey point. Thanks!

Mike, that high school must have a solar flare for a spot light, 1/640th at f/2.8! Holy cow, I can barely get those shutter speeds under stadium lights at ISO 800.

Twig
Wit the background so dark I used center weighted and it read a much higher shutter speed as the same exposure using matrix metering. The lights are very nice this auditorium is brand new

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom