Fire and Ice - Re-edited

We were at Zion NP today after a snowfall last night. I don't have time to do much editing now, but this one caught my fancy. My son-in-law pointed this scene out to me on the side of one of the cliffs.

PS. at the suggestion of some of the forum members I re-edited the photo to show more clarity and saturation. It is Edit 2 below. The WB is different in each as well.

Edit 1 I did on my laptop

DSC_3510.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Edit 2 I did on my desktop

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
What a stunning image, Terri! I like this a lot! When you get home....try processing it again to really bring out the color and texture contrasts!

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Like the way you got the "infrared effect" in this shot.

What a beautiful place and you photographed it so nicely Terri. I like the sharpness and the texture in your revised version but the image seems a bit too warm to me.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I really like the additional texture you reveal in the second shot. However, the colors seem overly saturated. I've visited areas like this a lot and know that rocks are very, very colorful.....but still think the colors might be a bit too "rich". The colors in the original seem a bit more natural.

Real Name
Mike
I love 1st one. Draws me in w/ natural colors, realistic vegetation, and greater depth vs. the heightened unrealistic colors, excessive detail, and compression of 2nd. My 2¢

Last edited:
A vivid reminder of Nature's splendor, isn't this? Beautiful!
Very nice.
What a stunning image, Terri! I like this a lot! When you get home....try processing it again to really bring out the color and texture contrasts!
Wow and more wow Terri. Very nice. (y)
Very interesting contrast. Envy you being there.
Very cool image, think as Karen said with additional processing could really bring out more color and texture.
Congratulations to your son-in-law for spotting the scene and to you for taking such good advantage of it. I can't wait to see the final image after it's gone through your post-processing. It has the potential to be absolutely stunning, so I'm particularly glad that it's in your expert hands.
I very much like this image. I think it's a good example of an "intimate landscape". Well composed with a nice contrast between the warmth of the wall and the white foliage.

Glenn
Impressive, Terri.
The colors are beautiful.

Kind regards
Klaus
Very interesting, and very beautiful.
Like the way you got the "infrared effect" in this shot.
What a beautiful place and you photographed it so nicely Terri. I like the sharpness and the texture in your revised version but the image seems a bit too warm to me.
It's a beautiful scene. Nicely spotted and captured.
I really like the additional texture you reveal in the second shot. However, the colors seem overly saturated. I've visited areas like this a lot and know that rocks are very, very colorful.....but still think the colors might be a bit too "rich". The colors in the original seem a bit more natural.
I love 1st one. Draws me in w/ natural colors, realistic vegetation, and greater depth vs. the heightened unrealistic colors, excessive detail, and compression of 2nd. My 2¢
Amazing lighting!
I thought I had revisited this thread and had acknowledged all your kind replies. I'm so sorry that I overlooked it. I would like to thank each of you personally, but I need to get to work this morning. If it's any excuse.....I am very busy right now with work, caring for my mom and also for my mother-in-law. Sometimes I get a bit distracted, but still want to try to find time to participate in the cafe. Thank you all for your help with this photo and for your very kind replies. I agree that the first image is the best. Looking at them again, today, the re-edited one is too saturated. Hopefully I'll be able to make it back and reply individually.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I find that using Nik Color Efex Pro one has to be very, very careful to not get overly processed images. I actually set any color/saturation sliders to -0-....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom