Fire ceremony in Fiji

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by dmwphoto, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Toadily awesome!:biggrin::eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D2Xs, 50mm f1.4 all shot wide open in very low light.

2. Dave, those are awesome but #3 takes it! Hope you are having a good time.

3. Thanks Mason. I start the 30+ hour flight home tonight but I sure have had a great time.

4. WOW! Bet that was a thrill to watch! It shows in the photos! Glad you had a wonderful time and hope you have a safe trip home! Awsome shots!

5. Very nice Dave! Wow, over already? Doesn't time fly when you're having fun!

6. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Wow, Dave. Did you give that a try. Maybe you can show us how its done at next years get together.

7. Holy Smoke!!!! Great photos of a fascinating event!

8. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:cool:Wow!! that's a short trip. bsvirginian

9. Thirty hours! If you have a air adaptor for the Mac, you should have all of your pictures processed:866:

10. Talk about heartburn! Great shots,. Hope you're enjoying the trip.

PaulC

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow
    Nice Dave

12. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Those are amazing!

I love #2-the detail in the fire near his mouth is amazing. Great pictures!
    What ISO were you shooting at?

13. Wow, impressive! Quite a testament to your skill and the 50/1.4.

Hope the flight home is as smooth as a 30 hour, two red-eye, 8 hour layover flight can be. :eek:

14. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wonderful shots. So how many did you take?

Rich

15. Thanks for all of the kind remarks. I arrived home yesterday around 11 am and have been EXTREMELY ill since then. I am barely able to get out of the bed.
    I took around 600 images on the trip and for the fire ceremony I did something new. I put the D2Xs on auto ISO and set it to not go hiher than 800ISO and not to allow a shutter speed lower that 1/15th of a second. I set the aperture at f/1.4 and used spot metering to keep from having the flames cause underexposure issues.
    These had to all be done handheld and of course there were many throw aways in the batch. I put the Camera on Continuous high frame rate but kept that rate limited to 3fps.
    I hope this answers most of the questions. Once I recover from whatever has me down I will look more closely at your questions and answer any I may have missed.

16. KrysiaG

KrysiaG Guest

Excellent!! #3 is spectacular!

17. Thank you Krysia!

18. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Dave,

Lovely shots. Fire away some more..I want to go to Fiji.

Have a safe trip back.

Regards.

19. Wow! These are cool shots.