Fire Engine Bell For Eng45ine

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by dbirdsong, Dec 29, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wednesday Frank (Eng45ine) mentioned about ringing the bell at a fire station and asking to take pictures.
    Well this is a shot where I did exactly that last January out in San Francisco.

I really like this shot a lot, but with what I know now about the D70 I am sure that I could have done better.

[​IMG]

Maybe I will try and recreate it while out there in 2 weeks.

Dave

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice shot in difficult lighting......

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks Ken...

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Bells on fire apparatus these days is very rare. They are very, very expensive and most departments would rather buy some additional equipment rather than having a bell adorn the front bumper of their fire truck. You did a nice job with the image considering the lighting that was available. If I ever win a contest on the Cafe and have the priviledge of creating the next contest topic...it will be to photograph something creative on a piece of fire apparatus. There are so many things attached to a piece of fire apparatus, it could be a photographers cornacopia of creativeness.

5. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I have just been promoted to a different station, the bell from the original station was moved from the old station into the new one, some pride taken on keeping the one your posted clean, i think our brass one looks like it needs some brasso!

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Speaking of Brasso, we have a vintage brass fire pole that originally was in an old firehouse in Chicago, then transplanted to our department's first firehouse back in 1918. It has since been installed in our headquarters firehouse where I am stationed. It takes four guys about four hours to polish it to a beautiful shine...but when it's done, it is like a piece of artwork. And did I mention that I hate to polish it?????

7. Now that's a classy bell!

You're going to have a great time in San Francisco with your D70. That town is so photogenic. I hope you get a chance to shoot the bell again.