Fire Training & The Fire Truck

Last week we had a fire school for a neighboring utility and I was able to take a few pictures at the training facility. We wanted to get a picture that we could matte and frame for our fire department in appreciation for their help with our training. I accidentally forgot my 70-200 which is what I use most of the time, so these are with the 300 2.8 ED AF (thanks again to GBRandy!). This is a natural gas fire about eighty feet behind the front of the truck. I was able to line up the front of the truck with this particular fire pit, but trying to get it all into frame I was backed up against another building….therefore I cut the top of the truck off in some pictures, and the bottom in others.

148561223-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

148561634-L.jpg

I thought you kept everything ready in you backpack. That looks like an interesting shoot. Nice shot by the way.

Now that is pretty cool...... #1 is my preference as I like to keep the FF in the frame....but both have impact.

I would however consider leveling the front bumper of the truck to give it a more balanced effect. Even if it meant cutting a sliver off the top of it.....

How do you "forget" to bring your 70-200?!!!!! Nice 300 mm lens you got there........ :)

I thought you kept everything ready in you backpack. That looks like an interesting shoot. Nice shot by the way.

Thanks Rex. You saw how the 70-200 in its pouch kind of rides like a baby kangaroo. I don’t always keep it there because it isn’t too secure, so on this day I happened to have forgotten to stuff it in the outside of the backpack.

Now that is pretty cool...... #1 is my preference as I like to keep the FF in the frame....but both have impact.

I would however consider leveling the front bumper of the truck to give it a more balanced effect. Even if it meant cutting a sliver off the top of it.....

How do you "forget" to bring your 70-200?!!!!! Nice 300 mm lens you got there........ :)

Thanks Randy. Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that.

Geez, I was looking at the first picture and thinking about your suggestion…and I noticed that my D200 is on the front bumper of the fire truck. Good thing I remembered to pick it up.

Mason, both are nice but I just love that second shot!

Thanks Frank!

I wanted one with just the truck and the flames, and one with someone working a fire in the background. The one with the people in the background may not be as interesting to the fire department because that is our instructor from the gas deparment and a student...but I think they will like the second one.

During lunch I leveled the first picture as Randy suggested…I think this is much better (thanks for the suggestion!).
I'm still dissapointed that I left the other camera in the picture:mad:
148625274-L.jpg

Well, for me that is much better......I like the intensity of the flames, the concentration of the firefighters and the cool Nikon camera on the bumper! Hahahahahaha

Nice work Mason.

The day before I took this picture I was out at the facility and I had a soft drink from the fridge. As I left and got out on the road I went to grab my drink and it wasn't in my car. I thought I had lost my mind. I stopped the car and my drink was on top of it. Soooo, when I realized that I sat my camera on the fire truck I was sure to pick it up!

The day before I took this picture I was out at the facility and I had a soft drink from the fridge. As I left and got out on the road I went to grab my drink and it wasn't in my car. I thought I had lost my mind. I stopped the car and my drink was on top of it. Soooo, when I realized that I sat my camera on the fire truck I was sure to pick it up!

One of the funniest things I ever saw...I was at a convention sitting in the coffee shop with some customers. Traffic outside was awful. Start / stop / start / stop...

I look out and here is a lady sitting in her car with a Starbucks cup on the roof. She'd move forward about two feet in traffic and stop and then look around in her car frantically trying to find her coffee. The herky jerky car movement was just enough to make the coffee on the roof unstable and ALMOST tip over every time she moved up bit. Then the panic search would resume inside the car. We would take bets on whether the coffee would finally spill on the next car movement...it never did... I laugh just thinking about it.

This little show went on for what must have been five minutes before she disappeared around the corner.....it was a stitch....wonder if she ever figured it out....? :biggrin:

There aren't any females that work near the New Orleans Convention center on this forum are there?!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom