Firefox 4 - worth the upgrade?

Firefox 4 has been out for a few months now, and I know some of of have installed it. I recall that there were some problems and compatibility issues early on. Do any of you early adopters have any advice at this point? I'm using a Mac.

And thanks for being the guinea pigs :smile:.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You should install it.

Note that Google have announced that they will stop supporting older browsers, i.e. more than two generations back. That will help us all as the move to HTML5 develops.

Go to Firefox at the top left and right click on bookmarks in the expandable menu.... should open up the bookmark organizer.

I like it on Windows. Don't like the ugly interface on Mac. Uses too much real estate and I couldn't find a theme for Mac that I liked. The full screen button on Mac is nice, though. Just not enough (or any) improvement over Safari for me.

I upgraded and really like the new version. They have a feature called syncing now which allows any changes to one instance of firefox to happen to any/all that are synced with it. So when I bookmark a page on my laptop, the bookmark is also instantly created on my desktop. There is also an app for the iPhone (not sure about android) called firefox home that allows you to sync with your iPhone. So all my bookmarks are on my phone, and if the browser is open at home, any sites that are open are accessible remotely on the phone or other computer.

You must be referring to the Windows interface. It's different on a Mac. I can't find a bookmarks organizer.

You looking for Bookmarks>Show All Bookmarks? That opens up my Bookmarks library and lets me move them around, etc. MacBook Pro...

Could you clarify what you mean by bookmark labels?

When I click on "Bookmarks", the bookmarks list opens and it is almost wide enough to fill the computer screen, simply because one or two bookmark titles or labels is 15 or 20 words. In previous versions of Firefox I could edit these labels and shorten them. I haven't found a way to do that in FF 4.

I don't have a Mac but I'm guessing these keyboard shortcuts will be the same:
Bookmarks: Ctrl+Shift+B
History: Ctrl+Shift+H
I'm sure you must also have buttons for these on the Mac.

Thanks; they do work with "Command" used for "Control". But what I'm really looking for is the little down arrow beside the forward and back arrows which shows the last few sites visited in that tab.

For example, say I do a Google search, click on one of the hits, follow a link from there, and another from there. Then I want to go back to my original search results. I don't want to have to page back three times to get there. With the previous version of Firefox you just click on that little down arrow, and voila', there was the original search 3rd down in the list, available with one click.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom