Firefox & a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by GBRandy, Apr 26, 2007.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I recently returned from a vacation and fired up the Mac pro. However, when I run Firefox, I get a 10 second delay now as I move from site to site.

What happens is I click on the Nikon Cafe icon and in the lower left it says "Looking up Nikoncafe.com"....and does nothing for 5 - 10 seconds. Then the DSL modem light begins to blink and boom it's there. I click on another site and I get the same delay.

It does not sound like much, but when I jump around on several sites, the slow down is remarkable. As Larry always suggests, I repaired disk permissions without any change. I rebooted and no change. I rebooted the DSL modem...no change. I downloaded Camino and it acts the same....so I think it is in the network interface...but that all look proper and is confirmed OK by the system. Weird in that it worked prior to me shutting the system down for two weeks.

Any ideas on what might cause this? THANKS for any suggestions and help.

2. Works fine on mine Randy, have you installed the latest Apple secuirty update or has firefoxe installed any of its updates, just trying to think what could have changed

3. GBR, might try emptying the cache?

And it may be that during your absence your provider cleaned out their caches or DNS directory?

Does it do the same on one of your other computers?

4. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    Safari is so much better.... ;)

5. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Sounds like a name resolution problem (DNS). Only happening on the one computer?

6. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Good question....I have not tried it on the other two machines. I guess I was so focused on my computer I never thought to check the others. I'll be home at lunch and check then...

What it looks like to me is the computer stalls after I select any website....I have the DSL modem on my desk and can see the traffic. If I select a site, it "looks" for it for a moment and then the internet traffic starts.....it never did that before. In fact if I pick something that is heavy ad content (ESPN) it takes FOREVER to load......gah, it sounds like a virus!

I would rate my knowledge on networks, internet and DNS stuff as "dangerous"...I need help in this department as I can never make them work exactly right.

I did have several updates to install upon my return so I am certain there was a security update in there...I did get Aperture 1.5.3 automatically though :)

7. Randy. I finally gave up on Firefox after a few of the plug-ins caused it to close and restart. Finally, since it is not color aware and caused me so much frustration trying to get good loking images up for viewing I went back to Safari.

The hangs, though may be another matter. Even in Safari, the blue band in the URL window frequently starts, goes to about 5% and hangs from a few to sometimes 10-15 seconds. Right now it's fine; that's why I don't think its your computer.

Rich

8. Avoiding any web browser (read religious) arguments, I'll second David's (aka perterparker) suggestion. While Camino is based on the Firefox engine, it has it's own cache, etc... I'm guessing you would have the same problem with Safari, Opera, OmniWeb, Shiira, Flock, etc... Try a different computer and spill the beans. :)

Come to think of it, I think similar has happened to me. I gone away on vacation only to come back and have my internet connection crazy slow. I think it just got better after a day or so [bad memory]. I'll ask my wife is she remembers anything about it. Her memory is much better. ;)

9. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Well, I went home at lunch and tried Firefox on the Mini...lightening fast...nice and quick.

I tried the PC and things moved along just as quickly.....

So I sat down at my Mac Pro and clicked on the Nikon Cafe and the response was immediate...instantaneous....so whichever one of you ran over to my house this morning and fixed it...well, thanks...it works fine now.

Weird in that it was acting up for a week and a half and suddenly...fine. I'll check it again tonight.

Randy

10. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    No problem :smile:. Sure was a long drive back though...

11. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    delete the plist file for firefox in user prefernces with firefox closed

12. Give me your address complete with zip code +4 and I will mail my invoice.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

13. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I want to love Safari, but Firefox is so much faster....at least for me. I do have problems with it occasionally though such as not showing images posted here on The Café or not being able to find websites I visit frequently (extended hang time) even though Safari will go right to them.

Still looking for the perfect browser. Oh what a complicated world we live in.:rolleyes:

14. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks Larry....you can send the invoice here:

1265 Lombardi Avenue
    Green Bay, WI 54304

Reference section 111...I'm sure Ill get it.......:biggrin:

15. Must be noisy on fall weekends.

Lambeau Field

16. I have seen this with Firefox before on a Linux box. I'm not sure if this is the same but my problem was cured by setting the network.dns.disableIPv6 config item to true. Firefox was doing an IPv6 DNS lookup before an IPv4 one and this caused the delay.

Ronnie

17. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Have you tried OmniWeb? Brilliant tabs, colour managed, workspaces and customisable to site level.

18. Try this

Here's some OS X info not too many people know about. Do not worry about the files you will be deleting--they get replaced with the next restart.

In Windows, when you keep adding patches and updates and various crap to the system-- startups and shutdowns get slower and slower and s l o w e r and short of a system reinstall there isn't much you can do about it.

With Mac, you CAN do something about it. Are your restarts getting slower? Same with shutdowns? In Unix, there is a database in the System Folder called Launch Services. Every time a program is installed or even just tried out or demo'ed, all the Finder info goes in there consisting of document links for opening purposes, icons, etc. Same thing for all system updates. Like most DBs nothing is ever removed--only added-- so more and more info has to be parsed at start up time.

Try the following. You will not be disappointed.

Delete kernel extension caches. A number of common issues that crop up after incremental Mac OS X updates can be resolved by deleting specific cache files -- specifically kernel extension caches -- and restarting.

This can most easily be accomplished with a shareware utility like Tiger Cache Cleaner, but also bears a manual process which involves dragging the following files to the trash:

* com.apple.kernelcaches (a folder in /System/Library/Caches)
    * Extensions.kextcache (a file in /System/Library)
    * Extensions.mkext (a file in /System/Library/)
    * com.apple.ATS (a folder in /Library/Caches/)
    * Files that start with com.apple.LaunchServices (in /Library/Caches)

You will be prompted to enter your administrator password when dragging these files to the trash. You may need to restart after moving them to the trash.

I know some utilities that "clean up" these caches, but I don't think they actually delete the above files--they just "repair" them. I have had the best results just dragging the five above-mentioned files to the trash and restarting. THE FIRST RESTART WILL NOT REPEAT NOT BE FAST because Unix has to re-build the DB. BUT after that, all subsequent restarts will be pretty spiffy.

I do this procedure about 2/3 times a year and it is well worth it.

Chet

19. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Hummmmm I may just give that a whirl...gulp....

20. I have found that start ups are much faster if one does not have a lot of stuff connected via FW and USB. OS X does not have to load the drivers. I now run mine without a bunch of stuff connected that is seldom used. Makes a huge difference.