Firefox, any trouble to load?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by TomP, Sep 7, 2008.

1. I have had it with IE7. It keeps trying to load on my machine, and each time I load it, my performance suffers. I tried it again, 3 days ago, and this is as long has I have put up with the problems.
    How much trouble is it to load firefox, and will I lose any capability's? Are there any tricks I should know? I am ready to deep six IE.:mad: 

Edit, oh a big question, how can i save my IE favorites?

2. Firefox is super easy! I don't know of any capabilities that you'd lose over IE. You can import your "favorites", too, so that's easy. (I think it just asks in the firefox installation if you want to import favorites from IE, then it does it for you).

Go for firefox - it's much better.

Kristin

3. Kristin, I agree 99% with you. I'm using Firefox right now. However, there are a few websites out there that don't do well with Firefox--or Opera for that matter. For that reason, alone, I leave IE7 on the machine as well. "In case of fire, break glass and use IE."

Bruce

4. Before I went to a Mac I used Firefox instead of IE and was satisfied with it. Wasn't ideal, in some ways it felt "clunky" to me, but for the most part it was much better than IE. Certainly felt more secure from viruses, trojans and other nasties out there! I don't remember now (this was more than three years ago) any particular issues as far as usability, transferring over my favorites, etc..... However, three years ago next month I switched to the Mac and at that time I decided to work with Safari rather than continuing with Firefox and I've been very happy with it. Actually, now there is a Safari version available for Windows. Haven't had much experience with that so can't say whether it is better than the current version of Firefox or not.....

5. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    I've been using firefox on my PC for about a year. Recently updated to version 3 w/ no problems. I flickr so I love it b/c there are a lot of grease monkey scripts.

6. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    Another big fan of Firefox here as well, but as already noted, I keep IE on hand for those few web sites that don't like Firefox.

7. Well thanks all! I have gone to FF, aNd that was very painless. So far it seems a bit faster:smile: I did, as recommended, keep IE for the time being. I do miss the spell check, it seems to be missing from the cafe reply box. I would not have thought that was an IE thing, seems like FF would have that capability also.
    Thanks ALL.

8. Oh wow FF is awesome, I just did the ultimate test, went to PBase!!:smile:
    PBase users will understand, the site is slow, but it is blazeingly fast with Firefox, Really nice.:biggrin:

9. There is a nifty little plug-in that will load pages in FF as IE. I use for those sites that need IE. Just a right click and page loads in FF like it was IE. Pretty cool. Now where did I find that ?

Here : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Also FF is color managed, IE is not. Maybe IE8 is? Not sure though.

10. Firefox has built in spell check. I use that feature every day! LOL.

11. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Tools - Options - Advanced - General tab gets you the option to turn on spell checking.

Bill

12. Thanks Bill.

Thought it was on by default. Cannot remember though??

13. safari for windows isn't as good as safari for mac, unfortuately

14. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Fox trails

I've been using Firefox for years now. Never had any problems. And if anything IE copies things Firefox innovates like colored tabs and a great plug-in like Flickr (already mentioned). And if for some reason something crashes and takes FF with it, when you try to get to the net again, FF remembers where you were and will ask if you would like to resume or open a new window.

It's free, totally compatible with everything and you can customize. And it's faster than IE. It's worth the switch!

15. jaysinnva

jaysinnva

Nov 1, 2007
    Virginia
    I've used Firefox since 2004 and liked it until version 3, as it seems to be much more flaky. I've had to kill the firefox.exe process and restart it a lot lately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.