Firefox is doing it again

I noticed recently that scrolling pages incurs short stop and start delays. Then while preparing a post here I noticed that despite typing the cursor stopped for a few seconds then would catch up. It's got more and more frequent. I brought up activity monitor and as you can see the writing was continuous. I shut down firefox and the writing stopped. Several seconds later I re-started Firefox and as you can see by the two red spikes it started up again. Killing add-ins doesn't help.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Anyone heard of this?

Having some difficulty following you. You were preparing a post for here, so you were typing. Shut down firefox, typing stopped. Were you preparing the post via IE or Chrome and FF bit you?
I have noticed sometimes when I'm composing something there is an occasional hysteresis in the keystroke-to-screen-display. Don't know if local prg is communicating to server before displaying or not. That might explain (heavy traffic on server or maybe NSA just wants to check my spelling) but I don't know if that is being done.

I don't use FF at home. I use another Mozilla product (SeaMonkey) but it uses the FF core browser. I also use a javascript firewall (noscript) because some web pages use non-essential javascript. Don't know if that's your problem.

Ah! lower right-hand corner of window. Two cables plugged together next to HTTPS lock open or closed. Click the cables and unplug -- makes you run off-line. See if that improves your typing speed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was using Firefox 21.0 to create a text post. I typed a sentence and stopped to see if I had any typos (I hunt and peck) and the text had stopped in the middle of a word. I waited about 5-10 seconds and then the typing started again and got to the end of the sentence. That's when I fired up activity manager and watched the disk activity. It was clear by stopping Firefox that it was cycling to writing to the disk every 10-15 seconds and stopping writes to the screen whenever it started writing to the disk.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Rich, that sounds horribly like a keylogger to me. Firefox doesn't do that itself. It may be capturing all your keystrokes. Check your machine for malware. What anti-virus do you use? Have you done a full scan with it and with malwarebytes?

Also have a look at what other software you have running in the background. Programs like Dropbox and Skype can drain the power out of your machine, even when you are not visibly using them.

Rich, that sounds horribly like a keylogger to me. Firefox doesn't do that itself. It may be capturing all your keystrokes. Check your machine for malware. What anti-virus do you use? Have you done a full scan with it and with malwarebytes?

Also have a look at what other software you have running in the background. Programs like Dropbox and Skype can drain the power out of your machine, even when you are not visibly using them.
Does malwarebytes have a Mac version?

Sophos and Avast are popular, free Mac antivirus scanners.

I'm one who will never declare that it couldn't happen to me. I'm in the process of checking things out. The response doesn't appear to follow what you're describing. I'm entering a only ten or twenty characters, the write takes fifteen seconds long. I do use dropbox and may follow it.

I did the following things

- Changed my DNS to opendns
- Downloaded and am running ClamXav.

Never seen that and I’m using FF 21.0 on a very old XP machine. Growltiger may be onto something with the keylogger. Will it do it in a word processing program such as Word or Word Perfect?

Never seen that and I’m using FF 21.0 on a very old XP machine. Growltiger may be onto something with the keylogger. Will it do it in a word processing program such as Word or Word Perfect?
I don't run Growltiger. I haven't seen this behavior with any other application.

Rich, I've seen something like you describe on my MacPro, too. It's very infrequent, and while I notice it while running Firefox, I don't think it comes from Firefox. It almost seems like some other program is doing an automatic update (although I thought I had all auto updates turned off).

It happened on my old 3.1 MacPro, and it did the same (but very infrequently) on the new 5.1 MacPro, even though I reinstalled programs from CDs and did not migrate anything but data files.

I'd like to find the answer, too, so I'll keep watching this thread.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If Apple try to steal my name perhaps I could sue.

The one other thought I had is that you have a drive that is beginning to fail. A few months ago I had a stuttering performance problem and tracked it down to an almost failing drive.

The PC program to check this out is CrystalDiskInfo http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en which reads out the SMART data from the drive. No doubt the Mac has an equivalent program.

During Apple's recent Keynote event, Apple engineers showed that Firefox is a huge memory hog. it uses something like 35 times as much memory as Safari.

During Apple's recent Keynote event, Apple engineers showed that Firefox is a huge memory hog. it uses something like 35 times as much memory as Safari.
My immediate reaction is, well they would say that wouldn't they :smile:
Did they actually show it or did they just say it.

If Apple try to steal my name perhaps I could sue.

The one other thought I had is that you have a drive that is beginning to fail. A few months ago I had a stuttering performance problem and tracked it down to an almost failing drive.

The PC program to check this out is CrystalDiskInfo http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en which reads out the SMART data from the drive. No doubt the Mac has an equivalent program.
The bundled Disk Utility and the System Report (accessed via About This Mac in the Apple menu) show the SMART status of the internal disks. You can also run a Verify pass on each disk from Disk Utility.

In my experience with Firefox (these days I use Chrome), I have seen similar behavior twice. Once was a plug-in (it passed the compatibility test but still had problems) and once was a bug. The bad news is that, in the case of the bug, it took about 2 months for the problem to get acknowledged and a fix delivered. In fairness, in my experience none of the other browser vendors are better at customer service and fixing problems.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom