Fires in Yellowstone Park

For the past 10 days my wife and I have traveled throughout Yellowstone Park and the neighboring states of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho all on our motorcycles. A absolutely great trip which took us on as many side roads as we had time to explore.
The scenery was breath taking, only wish I could have taken along a tripod and a couple of other lenses, but I tried to make due with what I could take, which was a D300 and my 24-70mm.
These are some photos of the numerous fires that are still buring in and around Yellowstone Park. We got caught in one fire as we were leaving the East gate of Yellowstone headed for Cody, Wyoming. At one point the fires were all around us and the rangers stopped all traffic for about an hour until the wind shifted enough to return just a bit of visibility. Hopefully my photos will explain a little of what we saw and witnessed.

In this image we were headed for Canyon Park within the Park and from this vantage point you can see the many fires buring.
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is leaving the Park headed toward Cody, all is well so far but up ahead lies trouble.
original.gif

It was but just about two miles up the road that we ran into this mess.
View attachment 238702

Which quickly turned into this.
original.jpg

original.jpg

And here we sat for about an hour waiting.
View attachment 238705

Louie

Last edited by a moderator:
Louie,

great shots - #1 is nice but #4 is my favorite. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to get a motorbike and go explore.

2 and 4 are my favorites. I was out there in 1999 and just was amazed with the area. I have been trying to get back but 3 kids keep taking up my time and vacations.

Louie,

great shots - #1 is nice but #4 is my favorite. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to get a motorbike and go explore.
Thanks very much for taking time to comment, I appreciate it.

2 and 4 are my favorites. I was out there in 1999 and just was amazed with the area. I have been trying to get back but 3 kids keep taking up my time and vacations.

Thanks for taking a look, and you're right it's a great place.

Louie, I was expecting to see images of the past big fire. I did not realize there is a current fire burning. Great shots, looks like you had great weather too.

Louie, I was expecting to see images of the past big fire. I did not realize there is a current fire burning. Great shots, looks like you had great weather too.

Thanks Jim, our trip was really great. I posted some shots a bit further down on the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom