Fires in Yellowstone Park

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Louis Champan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. For the past 10 days my wife and I have traveled throughout Yellowstone Park and the neighboring states of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho all on our motorcycles. A absolutely great trip which took us on as many side roads as we had time to explore.
    The scenery was breath taking, only wish I could have taken along a tripod and a couple of other lenses, but I tried to make due with what I could take, which was a D300 and my 24-70mm.
    These are some photos of the numerous fires that are still buring in and around Yellowstone Park. We got caught in one fire as we were leaving the East gate of Yellowstone headed for Cody, Wyoming. At one point the fires were all around us and the rangers stopped all traffic for about an hour until the wind shifted enough to return just a bit of visibility. Hopefully my photos will explain a little of what we saw and witnessed.

In this image we were headed for Canyon Park within the Park and from this vantage point you can see the many fires buring.
    original.jpg

This is leaving the Park headed toward Cody, all is well so far but up ahead lies trouble.
    original.gif

It was but just about two miles up the road that we ran into this mess.
    View attachment 238702

Which quickly turned into this.
    original.jpg

original.jpg

And here we sat for about an hour waiting.
    View attachment 238705

Louie

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  2. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Louie,

great shots - #1 is nice but #4 is my favorite. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to get a motorbike and go explore.

3. 2 and 4 are my favorites. I was out there in 1999 and just was amazed with the area. I have been trying to get back but 3 kids keep taking up my time and vacations.

4. Thanks very much for taking time to comment, I appreciate it.

Thanks for taking a look, and you're right it's a great place.

5. Louie, I was expecting to see images of the past big fire. I did not realize there is a current fire burning. Great shots, looks like you had great weather too.

6. Thanks Jim, our trip was really great. I posted some shots a bit further down on the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.