Firework shots from our window

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Roosje, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Roosje

Roosje

May 25, 2005
    The Netherlands
    First of all I would like to wish everyone here a wonderful New Year.

Because of our dogs I stayed home with all the fireworks going on. I decided to take some photos from our upstairs windows. All are handheld because I had to hang out of the window to take them.

80000227_2abb79237f_o.

80000225_c2f26e8fc1_o.

80000226_c162ad271c_o.

80000223_1ec5bbfdc5_o.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice , Nice..

Love those last two :>)))

3. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Aloha to all!

I've seen some pretty good attempts at fireworks shots the past few days but thought I'd relay some usefull information about shooting them I gleened off the NYIP, New York Institute of Photography.

While your instinct in shooting fireworks might be a high ISO and fast shutter speed, this is exactly opposite of what you should be doing.

NYIP suggests ISO 100, Manual exposure set to 'bulb', f8-f16, 2-4 second exposure using a cable release at the srart of the burst closing at its peak. Tripod of course.

Alternative settings:
    ISO 50 / f5.6-f11 / 2-4 sec
    ISO 200 / f11-f22 / 2-4 sec

Seems illogical but try it sometime, it works better, kind of like a rear curtain sync with a strobe. Your black sky will be dense and not noisy and your colorful bursts will be rich with better detail. I've used this technique for several years now with great results.

http://www.nyip.com/

PS: My site's down or else I'd post an example.

4. Hi Roosje --
    You have what I call a "spare vision" which I love. I don't know how that would translate to Dutch, but I what I'm trying to indicate probably has something to do with "photographic minimalism" but without resort to a skeletal "line".
    Well that probably sounds like art-critic-babble!!!
    Enjoyed these posts & looking forward to more!!

5. Mike -- Thanks for this pointer !!! It is kind of counterintuitive, isn't it? I've added this to my Photo Notes. Not sure when I'll get to try it next, LOL!! Wish I was out in Hawaii shooting the surf instead of waiting for the next snow/sleet storm.

6. Roosje

Roosje

May 25, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Mike, thank you for the link! I bookmarked it and am planning to read the articles miniculously, there is still much to learn. I am afraid that I made use of the scene mode this year, but I do want to learn how to use the manual settings. Fred, my husband is thinking of buying a D200 and a 18-200 mm lens. I would love to know how to work with that camera too.

Anne,

You have a good eye :smile: When I look at an artworks or listen to music I do not want to have to concentrate on too many things, I want to see its beauty in all its simplicity. For that reason I love Japanese art and music of Satie.

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Been here 8 years now from Nebraska. If I NEVER have to scrape another windshield in my life I will die a happy man.....

Yea, the NYIP advice for fireworks is sort of counter intuitive untill you think it through. The key is setting up with a tripod and cable release. You'll be amazed at what you get.

....Hula on!