will be doing some exciting night shooting

fireworks, watershow

need some shooting help

lens?
wb?
etc.

thanks in advance

marc

Geeeewizzzz, nobody yet. I would like to know as well.

Hope you have great success and a great time. Where in florida. I'm in Brevard county and the weather is yuk.

Please share your experience, and trials and errors so I can learn.

Put fireworks photography in Goggle and you will find a host of web sites with tips, tricks, and techniques for this subject. It has been a popular subject over the years.

M

marc

Larry Gleason said:
Put fireworks photography in Goggle and you will find a host of web sites with tips, tricks, and techniques for this subject. It has been a popular subject over the years.

thanks for the help
larry

J

Jim Parson

marc said:
need some help, tips, experience

lens? etc. will be doing some exciting night shooting fireworks, watershow need some shooting help

lens?
wb?
etc.

marc
The last time I shot fireworks was with my CoolPix 8700. They turned out great because of the "Fireworks" scene mode. I'm planning on trying my hand at this again this year, only with my new D70. I'll be watching this post closely for tips!!
I can only tell you, the CoolPix chose a 4 second exposure, infinity focus, f/8.0... and no idea about white balance! I was too close and should have used the wide angle lens, but it was a location unfamiliar to me, and I was poorly set-up. Advice I read recently in another forum is to try to set up so that you can include a skyline or something to provide a sense of scale and a "backdrop" for the fireworks scene. I did not do this and can tell you it would have made a HUGE improvement!

Any fireworks pro's out there?

P.S. If you think you should set focus for something other than infinity, wear a helmet! :lol:

M

marc

Jim Parson said:
marc said:
need some help, tips, experience

lens? etc. will be doing some exciting night shooting fireworks, watershow need some shooting help

lens?
wb?
etc.

marc
The last time I shot fireworks was with my CoolPix 8700. They turned out great because of the "Fireworks" scene mode. I'm planning on trying my hand at this again this year, only with my new D70. I'll be watching this post closely for tips!!
I can only tell you, the CoolPix chose a 4 second exposure, infinity focus, f/8.0... and no idea about white balance! I was too close and should have used the wide angle lens, but it was a location unfamiliar to me, and I was poorly set-up. Advice I read recently in another forum is to try to set up so that you can include a skyline or something to provide a sense of scale and a "backdrop" for the fireworks scene. I did not do this and can tell you it would have made a HUGE improvement!

Any fireworks pro's out there?

P.S. If you think you should set focus for something other than infinity, wear a helmet! :lol:

great advice, i understand the helmet

thanks

M

marc

i appreciate, the llinks to the other sites and have visited

but , what i really wanted was specific to nikon or canon dslr

wb settings in particular, avoiding blowing highlights

most of the places i have looked at, speak of film shooting
they are very helpful and thanks to all, for their help

m

I shot these with a Fuji S2 but I think the setting would be about the same.

Auto WB,
RAW
Manual program
F5.6 with Bulb exposure (I used around 1-8 sec)
ISO 100
Tripod of course

Turn on the blinkies so you can see on the LCD how much your blowing out and then shorten or extend your exposure. Be careful of the finalely because there will be a lot of light. You'll need much short exposure for it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M

Mike Field

Very interesting subject. It will make 4th of July more fun this year.

I've shot fireworks a couple of times using a D70 and the kit lens.

You have to decide the framing by trial and error - take one shot and then zoom out or in according to what you see on the LCD.

I used F22 and manually set focus to infinity. In aperture priority the camera wanted to give it the maxium 30 seconds, but I tried everything from around 2 second to the full 30. The main difference seems to be that with a longer exposure you get the whole trajectory of the burst on one frame, which can be quite interesting.

Some people recommend setting a long exposure and using a black card in front of the lens between bursts. I haven't tried this myself.

Here are a couple of my attempts. It was a windy night, as you can see from the 'drifting' in some of the trails.

View attachment 8230

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom