1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Firmware update for D850

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Palouse, Oct 18, 2018.

1. I might do this one, I’m still on whatever fw it came with.

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    One of the previous firmware upgrades killed the TTL for my SB800's. Not all of them, just the ones with early SNs. Anything 24xxxxxx and above still seems to work while the 23xxxxxx and below do not. I guess I'll take a chance as mine does have the issue mentioned which I have previously thought was my 600E as it only seems to happen with that lens. Doesn't help that the 600e is on the D850 97% of the time.

3. I'll wait and see if it kills support for 3rd party grips and batteries.

4. That sucks. Fortunately mine are 28xx and 29xxx. I'll live dangerously--leaving for Belgium in a few hours and did the download; everything seems to work OK. I hope!

5. If it fixes the problem I've experienced on two D850s I'll be happy. While the issue can be reasonably described as "rare" in the sense if affects very few D850 owners, those who experience it see the problem during nearly every photo session and with every D850 they shoot with.

6. Luke, always great to learn something new! I'm not sure I ever experienced it, but then I might have and not known it! My rolling eyes sarcasm was not that this was a small and very minor update, but that we might have been treated to a couple of new things that have been talked about on line and elsewhere. Well, there is always tomorrow.

7. I’ve seen it. Power off, power on seems to clear it.

8. Did you report the TTL issue with the SB-800s to Nikon support? That change may have been unintentional; if enough folks report it, Nikon could fix it in a future firmware upgrade.

9. Did the update and the Vello BG-N19-2 and Wasabi EN-EL18 grip and battery are recognized and work properly.

10. AndreasH

AndreasH

Aug 21, 2018
    It really would be most surprising if an FW update rendered some older flashes useless, but you never know. I have two SB-800s; one is an earlier one, 21XXXXX and the other is a 24XXXXX. Both work as they should when tested on my D850 with FW 1.02 and 1.03.

I keep my fingers crossed that those using third party lenses will not run into problems (like several Sigma users experienced with a D810 FW update).

11. In my case (and also with the others I've found with the same problem) the freeze is brief, around a second, and then normal operation resumes without any operator action required. I shoot events primarily and the freeze, when it happens, results in a missed shot. Not good when I'm trying to capture the "you may kiss the bride" shot. I am fully capable of missing shots without any help from the camera. But both D850s I've used are the first and only Nikon DSLRs since I started using them in 2002 that miss shots without my help.

Most D850 owners don't experience this problem including some big name photographers who shoot professionally with them. So it is only an issue for a few. Hopefully this firmware is the cure.

Edited to add:

Since posting this I found nearly a dozen other D850 users today on Nikon-centric forums posting in response to the firmware update that they also experience this issue. So the issue is not nearly so rare as I supposed.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  12. Just updated mine, camera still works.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Spoke to them today (have lots of time now that I got a pink slip) and the guy I spoke with seemed much more competent than those in the past. He said he'll run it up the line and get back to me in a week or so. He said he could get a quick answer but a better one would take longer, fine by me, I have time.

Update, They say to send it in with one of the flashes which I have done. Tested a new one at the store and it was fine with the old flashes, so I suspect mine has developed a fault in the ttl communications lines.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Nikon | Download center | D850 Firmware

Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.03 to 1.10
    • The camera now also supports direct Wi-Fi connections to devices running SnapBridge. For more information, see the “Addendum to the User’s Manual” in which this feature is described. Before using this feature, upgrade to the following version of the app:
      • - SnapBridge version 2.5.4 or later
    • Fixed the following issue:- The camera sometimes had trouble focusing on subjects in the focus points at the edges of the frame.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  15. dgwhitham

dgwhitham

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    Strangely, I experienced this issue with my 105 f/1.4, but when I switched to the Sigma 135 f/1.8, I didn't have this issue with the same sensor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.