Firmware update for D850

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I'm not sure it affects anybody.

Eventually it would be nice to get the save settings to a function button similar to the D5 if possible. That was very useful.
Once you save the settings to a card, you then don't want to use that card for shooting, right? I'd hate to dedicate an XQD card just to sit around with the camera settings on it unless I were sending the camera in for service. I do have an Excel spreadhseet the contains EVERY setting and my preferred choices....but it took a LOT of work to set it up. Now that I have it, I can modify it when I get a new camera body.

have you tried saving settings to a card, then load the card into a reader and copy the settings file to your computer? I haven’t tried this, but was curious if it would work.

Real Name
Bill
Once you save the settings to a card, you then don't want to use that card for shooting, right? I'd hate to dedicate an XQD card just to sit around with the camera settings on it unless I were sending the camera in for service. I do have an Excel spreadhseet the contains EVERY setting and my preferred choices....but it took a LOT of work to set it up. Now that I have it, I can modify it when I get a new camera body.
No, this is done in the camera. You setup the camera with your SS, aperture, iso, and even your metering mode. Then you go into your menu and save the settings as a user setting. You can then assign the setting to a function button.
Handy if you're shooting a still subject and quickly need different settings should it decide to run or takeoff like a bird or mammal.

https://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d5_tips/useful/saved_exposure_settings/

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
No, this is done in the camera. You setup the camera with your SS, aperture, iso, and even your focus mode. Then you go into your menu and save the settings as a user setting. You can then assign the setting to a function button.
Handy if you're shooting a still subject and quickly need different settings should it decide to run or takeoff like a bird or mammal.
Ahhh....my bad. I thought you were thinking of the "wrench" option to save settings to a card. Are you talking about the "Recall shooting" option that Steve Perry did a video on? I have it set up on my camera.....but shoot so seldom I have to remind myself it if there! :oops:

I tried downloading the lastest D850 firmware from the Nikon website and keep getting the following error message:

1588082808943.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've never had trouble with the updates before. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thanks,
Glenn

Update: So after getting this same message several times, I opened the "Downloads" folder on my computer. I copied the "F-D850-V111W" file that was there to my desktop...clicked on it to find the .bin file. From there, everything worked as expected and my D850 is now updated despite this repeated error message.

Glenn

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom