Firmware update for Z24-70, f/4.0S

Just installed. Now, when the camera power is turned off, my 24-70mm aperture stays around f8 (it was f22 before the update).

Lens update process is the same as camera update - the system automatically detects that your lens need an update, and you simply have to accept the prompt. (Yes, the lens has to be mounted when you do lens update.)

Ok..so I updated the firmware on the lens, and I looked into the lens to see that for sure the aperture goes to f/8 when turned off. Now the unsophisticated luddite in me asks. Why the need for this?
Ok. found this on DPReview: "
from a simple engineering perspective mechanical things normally jam at either end of their travel. If the lens is always stopped to minimum it could jam there. Nikon have probably discovered in one of their simulation programs that it can jam after X number of shut downs. Setting it at f8 should do exactly what they say. Improve reliability."
Also..opinion is that in previous firmware: when camera turned off the aperture on the lens was set to minimum, thus possibly exposing sensor to more pinpoint concentration of light if inadvertently left out in sunlight - similar to magnifying glass heating up a paper that it focuses on..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok. found this on DPReview: "
from a simple engineering perspective mechanical things normally jam at either end of their travel. If the lens is always stopped to minimum it could jam there. Nikon have probably discovered in one of their simulation programs that it can jam after X number of shut downs. Setting it at f8 should do exactly what they say. Improve reliability."
Also..opinion is that in previous firmware: when camera turned off the aperture on the lens was set to minimum, thus possibly exposing sensor to more pinpoint concentration of light if inadvertently left out in sunlight - similar to magnifying glass heating up a paper that it focuses on..
I can still remember the intense arguments we all had (albeit before the internet was born) regrading how best to store our manual lenses. One end down, on their side and wide open or stopped down? Engineering comes full circle!

Just tried my AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8 + FTZ on my updated Z7 body. This macro closed down to f/22 when the camera is off. Well, come to think of it, it is obvious because my firmware update went into my Z 24-70mm lens, not the camera body. I don't remember if the FTZ itself has any brain (firmware) in it to be updated someday ...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom