Firmware updates for Z7ii, Z6ii,Z7, Z6, Z5 and Z50

These new firmware will be available on Monday, April 26, 2021.

Nikon Z Series Firmware Updates:
  • Nikon Z 6II + Z 7II Firmware, Version 1.20:
    • Increased AF performance, including faster focusing when shooting in low light situations, improved detection performance and enhanced subject visibility during live view shooting
    • Improved tracking for face and eye detection as well as subject tracking AF
  • Nikon Z 6 + Z 7 Firmware, Version 3.30:
    • Adds the Save Focus Position option that allows the current focus position to be saved when the camera is turned off and restored when next turned on
    • The Z 6 will also receive the voice memo recording/playing function
  • Nikon Z 50 Firmware, Version 2.19:
    • Adds the Save Focus Position option that allows the current focus position to be saved when the camera is turned off and restored when next turned on
  • Nikon Z 5 Firmware, Version 1.10:
    • Faster AF detection speed in low light situations

JLH

Thanks for the update.....good info to know. I get busy and forget to check on this stuff at times.

These new firmware will be available on Monday, April 26, 2021.

Nikon Z Series Firmware Updates:
  • Nikon Z 6 + Z 7 Firmware, Version 3.30:

About time, another one of my pet hates with the Z6 & Z7.

So.....the $64,000 question - can the Z7II now track BIF eyes like the R5?
I would be highly surprised if it would even be able to focus on any bird's eyes. It was never supposed to and it was not promised in this FW update. This sort of upgrade would be a major FW upgrade like v3.0 and even then I would doubt it as I firmly believe it requires a different sensor type.

Now that I've installed the firmware upgrade, the focus point works exactly as before I installed it. It also works exactly the same whether the Save Focus menu item is turned on or off. In all cases, the focus point is saved when turning off the camera and then turning it back on again, as an example in the top left corner of the frame. Very puzzling, to say the least.

I would actually like in some situations for the camera to always save the focus point to the default center position and in other situations I would like it to be saved to the to the last-used position. I would even add that menu item to My Menu so I could easily control it. However, considering that my Z6 behaves the same way whether the pertinent menu item is turned on or off, there is no point in doing any of that.

Last edited:
Now that I've installed the firmware upgrade, the focus point works exactly as before I installed it. It also works exactly the same whether the Save Focus menu item is turned on or off. In all cases, the focus point is saved when turning off the camera and then turning it back on again, as an example in the top left corner of the frame. Very puzzling, to say the least.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Turn off the "Save Focus Position" option, focus on an object about 10 feet away, and turn the camera off. Then turn it back on, look through the viewfinder at the same spot, and see if it's still in focus.

Turn off the "Save Focus Position" option, focus on an object about 10 feet away, and turn the camera off. Then turn it back on, look through the viewfinder at the same spot, and see if it's still in focus.

Ahhhhhh. Now I get it! It saves the actual focus, not just the position of the red square indicating the focus point.

You should write Nikon's information, Jim! Thanks!

This new feature can be a nice improvement when I've got the camera on a tripod and am working in my makeshift studio.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom