Firmware updates Nikon 1 camera's + FT1 enabling AF-C

Still center AF point only, so for proper tracking of BIF your DSLR will still do a much better job (at least if you are using the FT1 on on your Nikon 1 camera - with the Nikon 1 lenses tracking is not bad).

Last edited by a moderator:

JPS

Nikon.... we have a problem !!!

...I downloaded the new firmware, checked that my battery was full, did the whole job correctly (it's not the first firmware update I set) and turned the camera off !

Then I screwed my Tamron SP70-300 on (of course with the FT-1 allready on the V1), and......... got the message:

"Check lens. Pictures can only when a lens is attached"

....followed after a few seconds by another message:

"Lens error. Contact a Nikon-authorized service center"

I took the Tamron off and successively screwed all my Nikon FX lenses, without any problem !!!!

The BIG PROBLEM is that -before installing this new FT-1 firmware- I have used extensively my Tamron SP-70-300 with the V1, and everything worked like a charm ! ...and I had bought the Tamron ESPECIALLY to use on the Nikon 1 !

WTH ????? I'm stucked in the Nordeste of Brazil, without any possibility of sending my V1 to Nikon (even Nikon Brazil, because I do not trust the Posts system here: too many things desapear !!!). My next trip to Europe will only be in october..... what can I do !

I'm really pi$$ed-off with Nikon !!! What on earth did they do to the firmware ???

:mad:
J-P.

JPS

Chat with a Nikon UK "tech".....

Here's the transcription of the chat I just had with someone at Nikon UK Support !

Fergus: Hi, my name is Fergus. How may I help you?
JPS: Hello ! I'm actually in the Nordeste of Brazil until October, without possibility to find a Nikon Stechnician and I have been extensively using a Tamron SP70-300 on the V1 until..... I installed the new FT-1 firmware ! Since then, the camera refuses to recognize the Tamron, although the other Nikon FX lenses work allright !
Fergus: If your V1 is recognising your Nikon lenses it would indicate no issue with the camera.
JPS: The camera itself HAD no issue with the Tamron UNTIL I installed the new firmware !!!
JPS: ...now I get an error message everytime I try to connect the Tamron !
Fergus: Unfortunately we do no test third party lenses so I can not offer any help regarding your Tamron lens.
JPS: ...so IMO it's a problem with the FIRMWARE !
JPS: Are you joking ??? I said that the Tamron WORKED perfectly well BEFORE I installed this new firmware, HENCE there's a bug in the firmware !
Fergus: There is no problem with the firmware and we have had no other reports of any issues.
JPS: I don't ming going back to the previous FT-1 firmware !!! I used the Tamron for 6 months without ANY problem... How can I REVERT ???
JPS: I'm TELLING YOU that THERE IS a problem ! The facts are there !!! The camera worked 100% BEFORE I installed the firmware, and doesn't work anymore now !
Fergus: It is not possible to revert back to the original firmware. I will send your reported issue to our development team on your behalf but we can only test our cameras with our own lenses.
JPS: So..... what can I do ? Put the Nikon V1 in the dustbin ?
Fergus: You can send it to us when you get the opportunity and we can test it for you.
JPS: Send the V1 PLUS the Tamron, you mean ?
Fergus: No just the V1, we do not test third party equipment.
Fergus: We only test our cameras with our equipment.

JPS: Thank you Nikon !!! The after-sales services are worce and worce...... OK... Please send my issue to the development team ! You have my email, right ?
Fergus: I have your email address. I am sorry that you are upset that we do not test other companies equipment for your needs but this is our policy.
Fergus: Is there anything else I can help you with?

JPS: I guess the "development team" are the ones that have created the new firmware ?!? So they should be capable to find out WHAT the done that might block the use of -another party- lens which worked well before... we'll see !
JPS: OK... I have printed our conversation and your "helpful" answers ! I'm afraid that will go the the Web and contribute to Nikon after-sale reputation...
Fergus: If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to contact us again. Thank you for your chat with Nikon Support.
Fergus has disconnected.

...Nice to feel helped that way, isn't it ? I DO NOT want help on a "third party" equipment, I want help on a BUG in the latest firmware !!!

J-P.

JPS

The BIG problem is that the only way to know if a new firmware suits your needs/hopes is to LOAD IT in your camera... but if the result doesn't satisfy you, YOU'RE FxxxD ! In any Nikon cameras (and perhaps in other makes too ?!?), you just CANNOT REVERT to a previous or original firmware !

J-P.

Right,

I upgraded firmware on my Nikon 1 V1.
Attached the FT-1.
Tested the Tamron 70-300, the Sigma 18-200, the Opteka 500m and the Samyang 8mm.
All working fine.

I don't know what to say.

JPS

Right,

I upgraded firmware on my Nikon 1 V1.
Attached the FT-1.
Tested the Tamron 70-300, the Sigma 18-200, the Opteka 500m and the Samyang 8mm.
All working fine.

I don't know what to say.
Just say Hooray ! ! ...or Phew... what a relief !

Lucky b.....t !!!

Question: did you put the FT-1 on the Nikon 1 prior to load the firmware ? ...and did you put a lens on it or not ? ...because I did as recomanded on the download page: I screwed the FT-1 on, alone, as they didn't say it needed to add a lens ! Maybe I reasoned too obediantly ?!?

:redface:
J-P.

I upgraded the Nikon 1 V1 on its own. Without the FT1, with a Nikon 1 lens though.
I seem to remember that the FT1 needs to be of a certain firmware release too.
I did not upgrade the FT-1 firmware and don't think I will as I use mostly manual lenses.

Based on your most regrettable experience, I think I will leave things as they are now.

JPS

I upgraded the Nikon 1 V1 on its own. Without the FT1, with a Nikon 1 lens though.
I seem to remember that the FT1 needs to be of a certain firmware release too.
I did not upgrade the FT-1 firmware and don't think I will as I use mostly manual lenses.

Based on your most regrettable experience, I think I will leave things as they are now.
Yeah... so you ONLY updated the CAMERA firmware, which didn't change anything to the way THIRD PARTY lenses worked !

...but you didn't -hopefully- updated the FT-1 firmware, which then seems to be the responsible for the problem I have !

:wink:
J-P.

Yes,

You are right, I only updated the camera.
L is still 1.00
Luckily Nikon Europe only sent me an email letting me know of the Camera firmware update, not of the FT-1.

The instructions for the FT-1 update have so much red and warnings that in addition to your bad experience that might be enough to keep me away from it.
May be...

Downloading right now. Updating my current V1 firmware as well! I don't have any 3rd party glass, so I should be in the clear. This is HUGE! First mirrorless camera with AF-C capabilities.

I was just thinking the other day why they didn't implement AF-C with the FT-1, despite the fact the FT-1 plus lens could determine if the lens was in-focus in MF mode. If that was the case, C-AF should be possible as well.

I guess Nikon read my mind! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the Tamron chip be updated?
Such a shame that this update on the FT-1 would render third party lenses useless.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, J.P.!

This happens with a lot of 3rd party lenses on the regular F-mount, too - they need to be re-chipped by Sigma or Tamron to make them compatible with the latest Nikon bodies. Guess the V1 + FT-1 with new firmware qualifies as a new body in that sense.

I usually wait a while after new firmware is annouced before I update, better safe than sorry.

Hope you can get the Tamron to work again - if not, you should consider trading it for the Nikon 70-300 VR!

Cheers

Mike

Just used the Nikon V1 for work. The AF-C works like a charm. The V1, has just become the first serious work capable mirrorless camera in my opinion (with it's tiny sensor)!

Just used the Nikon V1 for work. The AF-C works like a charm. The V1, has just become the first serious work capable mirrorless camera in my opinion (with it's tiny sensor)!
C'mon at least one pic of something moving that shows what it can do or it didn't happen!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom