Firmware Updates V1.01 D2hs and D2x

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jgrove, Nov 8, 2005.

1. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Nikon are set to release Firmware V1.01 today for the D2x and D2hs. Both updates are already available on the Nikon Asia site.

Fixes for D2x AF Improvement and WB, Flash and Dutch Menu issues

Fixes for D2hs same but not the WB issue.

No links but pay a visst to nikon-asia.com for more.

I have updated my D2hs to V1.01 without problem.

BE WARNED YOU MUST HAVE A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY OTHERWISE THE UPDATER WONT RUN!

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Thanks, James. Downloaded and updated. Just interested to know what they meant by 'autofocus performance has been increased'.

4. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Yeah, i wonder if it has solved the problem with the D2x focus issues? I had some small issues with the D2hs focusing but have lived with it till now. So hopefully it has solved it.!

But Nikon could at least tell us! Maybe Rob G site will host an update like they did with the D2h?

Cheers

5. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Just downloaded to my D2x and will take some time today to test the fixes. Thanks for the notice. Looking forward to a better focusing experience. :smile:

6. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Nice haircut.
    :biggrin:

7. Uk D2x Firmware Update Applied - Great Results

Hi All
    This is my first post to this great forum so I'll keep it short and sweet and fill in the gaps on my background later...

I don't want to get hopes up to high but I really think this update has solved my problems. As someone who had one of the early D2x bodies and had to return it within a few days to Nikon for "mirror box alignment", I have never been totally happy about the focus on this camera especially when compared to my D70. It was only last week that I was discussing returning it with Nikon UK for checking yet again last week but before I got around to it the new firmware appeared.

This morning, after updating the firmware, I took over 20 shots of items around our garden that I use as my standard "real world" test targets, these include a very stony textured post and some little plant markers with text on them. ALL of the shots looked better than my previous efforts. They had the 'snap' that I have been looking for and even the colour rendering looks better. The shots were taken with my three main lenses 18-70DX, 50mm 1.8 and 80-400VR. No tripod used and under dull lighting so I wasn't looking for this amount of improvement straight away. I would nearly go so far as to say that it feels like a different camera altogether, more 'shootable' under normal conditions.

I also took a few indoor shots of my better half with flash and the closeups, while not winning any portrait competition, were much sharper than I recall having seen before. With the 50mm at f1.8 the shots from around 20 inches away show every fine hair and mark on the skin - so now the complaints about the camera come from my other half rather than me but that I can tolerate!

I really think that something major has been done in this update, I'd really like to know how other users feel after updating their cameras, especially those who have had issues with focus in the past...

Jason
    Replica Imaging Limited - UK

8. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Follow the instructions on the web site, format 2 CF cards in your camera, copy firmware A to one card fireware B to the other. copy to the root directory of the card. Put a fresh battery in fresh battery in your camera.

Put CF card with A in your camera turn it on go to the Firware Update menu and select update, the screen will tell you once its finished, DO not turn off until you see the screen that tells you to do so. Turn off and repeat process for firmware B,

DO NOT COPY BOTH FIRM WARES TO THE SAME CARD DO ONE THEN THE OTHER USING SEPERATE CARDS.

Thats it check its done it by taken a peak at the new firmware version in the menu options.

I do suggest you go through the process online just to check.

Hope that helps

9. Thank you James for the help.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Yes, Paul, I read it. But it seems that all my settings are intact after the upgrade. :confused:

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think I'll take a wait-and-see approach, my D2x is working quite nicely as it is, no complaints about AF here. Plus I don't relish the idea of having to re-create 4 banks of shooting menu settings. I've learned my lesson in the past, now I prefer to let other people be the guinea pigs. :)

It's funny, whenever a new firmware came out for the D70 you'd get people making all kinds of claims about improved performance in everything from AF speed to ISO noise, even though those features weren't mentioned in the firmware release. And then if you waited a little longer there would be people claiming that the new firmware made their camera worse. It was actually kinda funny watching all the wild speculation, but it also made it hard to determine whether a firmware update was really worth installing or not.

13. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Does that save all 4 banks of settings, or just the currently active one?

14. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: They just posted it to the Nikon USA website ...

I have noticed the reddish tint on some of my images when choosing white balance.. but I just corrected it out...

15. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Upgraded 2 of my D2X bodies and as far as I can tell, all settings were kept. I didn't have any focusing issues before updating the firmware so it's hard to tell whether 1.01 gives a boost here. Focusing speed certainly hasn't declined :smile: High-ISO performance might show some improvement, however. I didn't upgrade the third D2X body so have a possibility of direct comparison later - once we get a little daylight.

16. Bjørn, I'll certainly be interested in seeing your results. I do wish that Nikon had been a little more specific about the type of focusing issues that were addressed, but I suspect that I'll be updating anyway after we get some credible reports of users experiences (like yours!).

I have experienced focusing issues with mine, but they've only shown up under specific circumstances that I've never been able to reproduce enough to narrow down -- usually when attempting to track moving subjects. Please let us know what you find out!

17. Hi All,

Thanks for helping on the updating. I never did that before because Fuji never had a firmware update for their S2. Anyway, this worked and I took a picture outside of my window to see how it worked and it was great. I noticed the reddish color was not there and the as they said the sharpness was much better. I shot in M mode. Since the picture is not a decent shot of outsed my window, I didn't post it here.

18. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I usually had my D2X cameras set to "Flash" w/b so wasn't bothered with any reddish tint before. However, the reddish cast certainly has disappeared on "A" and other w/b modes with the 1.01 update (checked against the non-upgraded body vs the others). Also, I see a huge improvement in high-ISO noise reduction. I need to play around more with this, but HI-1 ("1600") and HI-2 ("3200") all of a sudden could deliver sharp images. As to the focusing, I had no problems before and so far no new issues have developed :biggrin:

The 1.01 update evidently is a MUST for D2X owners.

19. I agree Bjorn Nice fix for the D2X.