Firmware upgrade question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by D. L. Miller, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Since so many of you have already upgraded your D2x's my fear of doing it must be groundless.

Is it "OK" to upgrade a USA camera from a site other than Nikon USA?

Thanks for any replies...

Dan

Sorry if this post appears twice. Computer locked up when I sent it the first time and I assumed it didn't go.

2. I see it is now on Nikon USA so I guess I'll do the upgrade without fear.

3. marc

marc Guest

the firmware upgrade is available at www.nikonusa.comwhy don't yuou just go there.

the upgrade is very easy

just format the card in camera

download firmware from nikon
    unzip files
    copy the file marked a to the card
    load card in camera, camera must be set to M mode, that is mass storage, this is in the menu's
    then go to firmware ver. openn this item

it will ask you if you want to upgrade, yes and enter, upgrade will proceed for A

then format card again and copy b file, do same as above all over again.

you will be upgraded, make sure you turn off camera in between file transfers, and the A and B files must be in the root of the card, not in the DCIM directory

not as difficult as i made it. takes about 10 minutes.

marc

4. Marc,

Did the upgrade and everything went very fast and easy.

Took some pictures and it does seem to focus better in "problem" situation.
    I'll hold judgement until I can get it out for a whole day of real world shooting.
    I am sure Nikon would not have done this unless there were big improvements.

Thank you for your reply.

If anyone else has doublts as too the difficulty of doing it, don't worry, it was easy. I did use a card reader & two cards to download the info. I felt that was a lot easier than using the camera to get the downloaded info. Once the info was on the cards it was super fast to do the upgrade.

thanks again.

Dan

5. Good to hear Dan everything went well with your upgrade. The only problem I had was with a Microdrive so I used a different card.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Nikon's instructions explicitly state to avoid using a microdrive.

7. John, I missed those instructions but that is okay. I figured it out anyway with no help so I feel pretty good about it :)

I used the same card but only after erasing the Sandisk 3 and then started part B. It worked out fine in the end.

8. just did mine thanks to this thread and the others about it. It went quick and easy. Will try to do some shooting tommorrow and try it out.
    Dave