Firmware?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...but i just got my D300 and all i keep reading about is "firmware". Can someone explain what it is, what its good for/bad for, and how to use it? thanks for the help.

James,
There are no dumb question here, like some other forums. The cafe is a great place to hang out. Congrats on the new body. I do not shoot the D300 but the pros hang out here. Good luck and lets see some pics.
David

I was also curiou about this so your question actually helped me.

I followed the link to see the firmware updates, but I am not exactly sure how to do it??

I am guessing I just plug my camera into the computer and then install the firmware? Anything in particular I need to do to make it work? Any and all advice appreciated for us newbs :tongue:

Thanks,
Jonny

I was also curiou about this so your question actually helped me.

I followed the link to see the firmware updates, but I am not exactly sure how to do it??

I am guessing I just plug my camera into the computer and then install the firmware? Anything in particular I need to do to make it work? Any and all advice appreciated for us newbs :tongue:

Thanks,
Jonny
Please read and follow the instructions on the Nikon support website as to what procedure to use.

Fm the Nikon website:he basic steps to update the firmware are:

1. Download and expand the firmware files
2. Format an approved CF card in the camera (do not use a Microdrive card to perform this update)
3. Connect Camera to computer (in MSC USB mode) or use a CF Card Reader (do not use a Lexar Jump Shot USB cable to perform this update)
4. Copy to the top level of the card the downloaded "A firmware" file
5. Disconnect camera from computer
6. Update the firmware from the "Setup" menu
7. Follow the camera's on-screen menus
8. Repeat steps 2 through 7 using the "B Firmware"
9. Re-format Card

it's simple
have a card reader
put in an empty card
load the new firmware onto that card
put the card in the camera
open up the menu for firmware... follow the instructions of the camera

you must update both A and B... SEPARATELY.....
A first
B second
put only 1 on the card at a time

make sure you have a FULLY CHARED battery installed....
you do NOT want the camera to die in the middle of the update.. that would be VERY, VERY BAD

good luck
it's easy, really

Just follow the instructions on the Nikon site. I just updated my D300 firmware from 1.01 to 1.03 for both "A" & "B". I hope this does solve the "low battery" indicator even though the battery level is fine.

Is it worth doing the Firmware Upgrade? I have't yet.... but I'm not having any issues either.

J

jaesuhn

Anyone know why I wouldn't be able to copy the firmware upgrades onto my card? It's like it's write protected for some reason. SanDisk Ducati 4G card in my D300, USB to computer, D300 shows up under "Scanners and Cameras" in "My Computer" and I'm running XP. I can't copy anything to the card. Advice? Thanks!

Jason

Anyone know why I wouldn't be able to copy the firmware upgrades onto my card? It's like it's write protected for some reason. SanDisk Ducati 4G card in my D300, USB to computer, D300 shows up under "Scanners and Cameras" in "My Computer" and I'm running XP. I can't copy anything to the card. Advice? Thanks!

Jason
Try just copying the files (do it one as a time, exactly as per the directions) to the card, then put the card in the computer. Don't use a direct USB connection to the computer.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom