Firmware?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jprphotography, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Sorry if this is a dumb question...but i just got my D300 and all i keep reading about is "firmware". Can someone explain what it is, what its good for/bad for, and how to use it? thanks for the help.

2. James,
    There are no dumb question here, like some other forums. The cafe is a great place to hang out. Congrats on the new body. I do not shoot the D300 but the pros hang out here. Good luck and lets see some pics.
    David

3. dx379

dx379

Jul 9, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    I was also curiou about this so your question actually helped me.

I followed the link to see the firmware updates, but I am not exactly sure how to do it??

I am guessing I just plug my camera into the computer and then install the firmware? Anything in particular I need to do to make it work? Any and all advice appreciated for us newbs :tongue:

Thanks,
    Jonny

4. Please read and follow the instructions on the Nikon support website as to what procedure to use.

Fm the Nikon website:he basic steps to update the firmware are:

1. Download and expand the firmware files
    2. Format an approved CF card in the camera (do not use a Microdrive card to perform this update)
    3. Connect Camera to computer (in MSC USB mode) or use a CF Card Reader (do not use a Lexar Jump Shot USB cable to perform this update)
    4. Copy to the top level of the card the downloaded "A firmware" file
    5. Disconnect camera from computer
    6. Update the firmware from the "Setup" menu
    7. Follow the camera's on-screen menus
    8. Repeat steps 2 through 7 using the "B Firmware"
    9. Re-format Card

5. it's simple
    have a card reader
    put in an empty card
    load the new firmware onto that card
    put the card in the camera
    open up the menu for firmware... follow the instructions of the camera

you must update both A and B... SEPARATELY.....
    A first
    B second
    put only 1 on the card at a time

make sure you have a FULLY CHARED battery installed....
    you do NOT want the camera to die in the middle of the update.. that would be VERY, VERY BAD

good luck
    it's easy, really

6. Just follow the instructions on the Nikon site. I just updated my D300 firmware from 1.01 to 1.03 for both "A" & "B". I hope this does solve the "low battery" indicator even though the battery level is fine.

7. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Is it worth doing the Firmware Upgrade? I have't yet.... but I'm not having any issues either.

8. Go for it, I haven't had any problems after the upgrade.

9. jaesuhn

jaesuhn Guest

Anyone know why I wouldn't be able to copy the firmware upgrades onto my card? It's like it's write protected for some reason. SanDisk Ducati 4G card in my D300, USB to computer, D300 shows up under "Scanners and Cameras" in "My Computer" and I'm running XP. I can't copy anything to the card. Advice? Thanks!

Jason

10. Try just copying the files (do it one as a time, exactly as per the directions) to the card, then put the card in the computer. Don't use a direct USB connection to the computer.

11. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    No issues here afterwards. Focus seems a tad faster also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.