First Attemp at Skateboarding/Bike pics..

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by TNguyen7, May 24, 2007.

1. after looking at the pics i should've used a smaller f stop

2. Smaller? You mean wider? (wider is a smaller F# aka, less in focus)

Because of the wide angle you are shooting though, you are going to get a lot in focus anyway, Most people shoot sports with Telephoto lenses (because they can't get close to the action) I like wide angle, But either or is good IMO (grass is always greener, When your stuck far away you would love to be up close etc.etc.)

I like the first shot thats my fav, The 3rd is too busy with background stuff, and since you can't see the Guys face you kind of focus less on him (and notice the fence and whatnot)

3. Looks good. Try laying on the ground a little scary if you don't know the skill level of the people you are shooting but I like perspective when I shoot skateboarding. Just my 2 cents

4. good point, i'll definately try it next time. i was shooting with my 18-55

5. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Part of the trick of sports photography is knowing the sport that way you're able to predict what will happen and therefore be ready to get the good shot.

Concerning the skate shot , I would've shot it with the rider coming towards me that way you can see the facial expression.

Otherwise technically they're good. Just keep on shooting and try different angles/settings :wink:

If you like check out my sports gallery on my site to give you an idea of what I mean.

Have fun and show us some more soon !

6. thanks, i should be going out there this weekend again depending on the weather

7. kirbdog

kirbdog

Mar 28, 2006
    Whistler, B.C.
    Practice, practice, practice. Don't be afraid to take lots of photos. Its a good idea to make notes of what things worked and for any ideas you have.

It is supposed to be fun, so go out and have a good time.