First attempt at BW film scan

Be gentle :smile:

Today I took a few test shots using kodak's BW400CN film C41.
From there, I did my first negative scan.

I did some slight enhancements in PS for the sky, otherwise, it's pretty much as is.

I used the Plustek 7600i scanner.

The camera was a F100 film camera, with my Nikon 10-24DX lens, used at 15mm.
Some slight vignetting, next time I'll go to maybe 16-18mm

Just thought I'd share.

Tree2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great, very nice shot and good scan, yes, it is really a joy, don't be scared or panic or whatever, just shoot, develop, scan and enjoy, it is no harmful to do, we will not tell you no no that is so bad and stop it, i feel jealous that you have better scanner than mine for 35mm, but i can beat your 35mm film with MF/LF films ;) lol

First, I have a quick question.....
Putting some of the plusses of using film aside, one of the "negatives" of scanning film, is the obvious "grain" or digital noise.

Before I pull my air out, is it common to have some grain? Or should I perfect my scan skills to a point where grain is eliminated?

Great first effort! Any apparent "grain" from C-41 film is most likely due to anti-aliasing and or degree of sharpening applied which can also be accentuated by bumping contrast. This effect can be reduced by scanning at a lower dpi - say 1200, for instance.

Great first effort! Any apparent "grain" from C-41 film is most likely due to anti-aliasing and or degree of sharpening applied which can also be accentuated by bumping contrast. This effect can be reduced by scanning at a lower dpi - say 1200, for instance.

Ok... That brings another question about DPI.

The scanner gives me the option to change the DPI. The "recommended" settings are typically made by selecting "photo" (300 dpi), then the desired sized print.
For instance... It would allow me 300 dpi @ 8x12 print. Or 600 -7200 DPI up to whatever.

I don't know what the ideal settings would be, and how to determine what i want.
I could easily do 7200 DPI @ 12x18, but that seems a bit much.

From experience, what DPI settings should deliver the highest quality?

Nice and contrasty, a good scan all around I think. The heavy vignette at the extreme edges should be easy to fix in Photoshop or Lightroom, I wouldn't even really worry about it.

Lusting after my own F100, posts like this only make me want to hurry and buy :)

Nice and contrasty, a good scan all around I think. The heavy vignette at the extreme edges should be easy to fix in Photoshop or Lightroom, I wouldn't even really worry about it.

Lusting after my own F100, posts like this only make me want to hurry and buy :)

I've owned just about every DSLR, right up to the D700 with the "holy trinity" of lenses.... and then some.
My children have since gotten older, and I really haven't had all the photo opportunities, like I used to.
I found myself taking the occasional 20-25 pictures.

With that, I saw no disadvantage by shooting film instead. I'd have to shoot 1500 or more rolls of film to equate to the cost of the digital equipment I had... and sold.

I came across a like new F100. FWIW, I was very impressed with the look and feel of this camera. It's built real nice, the shutter is tight and snappy, and the size is somewhere between a D7000 and D700. For 200.00 I got myself a nice 35mm camera.
To add to the madness, I picked up a like new Nikon FG with 35mm and 50mm lens, for the cost of a sushi lunch :)

I have to be honest.... The quality of a D7K or D700 file is very impressive, but going back to film has been a nice experience for me.
It's allowed me to give each shot more thought, and restricted my photo skills to the type of film I have in my camera. Walking around with the Nikon FG on manual mode, with a manual focus 35mm f2.0 lens, loaded with a roll of Tmax could be a challenge to get 24 nice pics off a roll.
I get the negatives developed for a buck, and scan in the ones I like.:)
Cheap fun, if you ask me.

BTW.... Did I say I'm having fun? :)
Gloves.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with an earlier post-BW400CN is virtually grainless. Very smooth. Nice film. Which may now be discontinued. Unconfirmed from the big yellow box.
You have solved a problem I have with scanning BW400CN: making it black and white. I usually get a sickly green tinge that I must deal with in Lightroom.
Scanning 35mm & DPI: What I do for all formats. Pick a DPI within the optical range of my scanner. My old Epson seems to have a sweet spot between 1600 and 2400. 1600 is for 4x5 & 2400 is for 35mm. I set the output size equal to the input size. I end up with files that easily print 11" long @ 300 DPI in the printer.

I agree with an earlier post-BW400CN is virtually grainless. Very smooth. Nice film. Which may now be discontinued. Unconfirmed from the big yellow box.
You have solved a problem I have with scanning BW400CN: making it black and white. I usually get a sickly green tinge that I must deal with in Lightroom.
Scanning 35mm & DPI: What I do for all formats. Pick a DPI within the optical range of my scanner. My old Epson seems to have a sweet spot between 1600 and 2400. 1600 is for 4x5 & 2400 is for 35mm. I set the output size equal to the input size. I end up with files that easily print 11" long @ 300 DPI in the printer.

Thanks.
The Plustek (actually, Silverfast) has a preset for BW400CN. A prescan reveals the green tinge you mention, but the preset recognizes this, and corrects it during the actual scan.

Walgreens had the BW400CN film in a 3 pack on sale for 5.99.
I developed a test roll at CVS. I'm happy. :)

$2/roll is a good price. My guess is that Walgreens wants to clear the shelves before word gets out that the film is history. Damn shame too. Fast and smooth and ultra-fine grain all in one film.

Lynn,
I just picked up the Plustek 7600i SE.

I HAD the Plustek 7600Ai, but exchanged it for this one.

The ONLY difference between the two scanners, is the software. The SE version has all the basic functions of the advancec versions, without some of the high end color tools, you'd wind up using in PS anyway.
It's also about 175.00 cheaper.

The best price for the scanner, is B&H. They have an instant rebate, and the full price was 309.00.

Its a dedicated film / slide scanner.

here's a manufacturers' link:

http://plustek.com/usa/products/opticfilm-series/introduction.html

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom