First attempt at Dragonflies

I went out today and took these shots with the 300 f4. The first was with the Kenko 1.5 SHQ TC and the rest were with the 300 and manual Extension tubes. Backgrounds were a little busy is some, but I was trying to maximize DOF to get the Dragons in focus as much as possible. Hopefully the technique will improve with practice. It was a ton of fun. I hope you enjoy them.

540011373_99f902367e_o.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

539889412_2bea2229f8_o.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 100103

View attachment 100104

View attachment 100105

View attachment 100106

Thanks for looking.

Some excellent shots you got indeed, Tom!

You got also very beautiful dragons there. Do you know what species they are?

Thanks Jukka. I appreciate your comment. I'm sorry, but I do not know the species. I do not have a book to look them up at this time. I am just starting.

Hi Tom!

I did some googling (ofcourse I needed to google Buckeye State first :smile:) and I got some IDs for you:

#1 Male Plathemis lydia, Common Whitetail
#2 Male Widow Skimmer, Libellula luctuosa
#3 Male Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis
#4 Male Widow Skimmer, Libellula luctuosa
#5 Male Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis
#6 Female Plathemis lydia, Common Whitetail

Those are ofcourse what I think they could be as they´re not species we got here.

Here´s some Odonata links I found:
http://www.ohioodonata.com/
http://www.marietta.edu/~odonata/

Tom, that is a very nice collection for a "first-timer". I think I recognize a couple of them, but you have at least one that I have not yet encountered. There are some good online sources for ID -- Bug Guide might be a good place to start.

[Sounds like you are hooked:wink:.]

Hi Tom!

I did some googling (ofcourse I needed to google Buckeye State first :smile:) and I got some IDs for you:

#1 Male Plathemis lydia, Common Whitetail
#2 Male Widow Skimmer, Libellula luctuosa
#3 Male Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis
#4 Male Widow Skimmer, Libellula luctuosa
#5 Male Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis
#6 Female Plathemis lydia, Common Whitetail

Those are ofcourse what I think they could be as they´re not species we got here.

Here´s some Odonata links I found:
http://www.ohioodonata.com/
http://www.marietta.edu/~odonata/

Thank you, Jukka, for your interest. I will visit the sites you refer to and I appreciate your help.

Tom, that is a very nice collection for a "first-timer". I think I recognize a couple of them, but you have at least one that I have not yet encountered. There are some good online sources for ID -- Bug Guide might be a good place to start.

[Sounds like you are hooked:wink:.]

Hey, thanks Bob. Yes I may be hooked. I checked the site you referred to, also. Looks to be very informative. I had not tried to look up anything yet, but that is another path I'm sure will lead to many hours on the computer.

Thanks again for your comments and interest.

A very nice set. I like the direction you're heading in - you do need lots of d.o.f. to get high quality shots of dragonflies. I really like the last one - that's a really strong image.

Alan

You will find that the 300 is a very addictive lens. Nice images. That's a pretty good converter for not being the "kenkopro" version.

You will find that the 300 is a very addictive lens. Nice images. That's a pretty good converter for not being the "kenkopro" version.

Yes, the 300 is a very good lens. I'm wondering if I would see much improvement with a "PRO" version 1.4 converter. Thanks for commenting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom