First attempt at formal people

This was my first attempt at photography with a live subject. I've done non formal everyday type of stuff before but a for a planned shoot this was a first. No special lighting equipment. I think I did ok. I'm looking to do more as I find people willing to be in front of the camera.

I'm trying to get as much feedback about these as possible so any and all C&C is very welcome

0001b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

0016b.jpg

0019b.jpg

0022b.jpg

0024b.jpg

0025b.jpg

0026b.jpg

0028b.jpg

0030b.jpg

Cheers,
Rishi

I'm no expert, but here are some observations:

1. looks good. I might experiment with a tighter crop.

2. the harsh light makes this picture rather unappealing to me. Harsh shadows, the sign on top distracts, I don't like it much.

3. underexposed, harsh lighting, slightly out of focus; I'd also shoot at a wider aperture if possible (I don't think the trees in the background add much).

4. I like it! I'd crop off the lower left part of the picture to get rid of some distracting elements. Also, I'd try a version with fill flash as well (if you've got a powerful enough flash or ND filters).

5. again, the lighting doesn't work for me. The crop also seems a bit tight (with cut off arms).

6. I like this one. The lighting is still harsh, but it doesn't look too bad on this one.

7-8. don't do much for me. The background seems distracting, and the pose looks off.

9. The crop is too tight, and the statue holding her doesn't add much to the picture.

I'd also edit the bug bites on her legs. More generally, pictures from below can be a bit unflattering because you're looking up someone's nostrils.

Anyway, that's not bad. There are more decent pictures here than I'd get out of a session.

Shooting that time of day is extrememly hard. You get squint eyes...large shadows. The best time to shoot is late in the evening...around 6:30 - 7:00. I love the poses and the colors. Although watch your angles...her legs look bigger than her body in some images. Keep shooting...you're on the right tract.

To add what the others have said, often it is more flattering to women if you do not shoot below them. Try getting slightly above them if anything.

a flash would be useful in majority of your photos to get rid of those harsh shadows.

Latest threads

Top Bottom