First attempt at light painting and open flash.

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Benoit G., Nov 20, 2005.

1. Hi folks !!

Tonight I decided to try light painting and open flash techniques. Equipped with my D70, tripod, SB-800 and my new big mag-lite 4 D batterie flashlight, I went to the location where I use to shoot herons during the summer because there are some nice ruins there. Here are the details of what I did :

After my tripod was installed and my composition set-up, I put my camera in spot metering and measured the exposure necessary to expose a section of the bridge lit with my flashlight, the camera told me 4 seconds at f/14 and ISO 200.

I figured out that a 3 minutes exposure will be enough to paint everything and 3 minutes will be a good exposure for the background.

So I started the exposure with the remote and of course long exposure NR ON.

I painted all the sections of the bridge including the column and the wall in the foreground and it took me about 2 min 40 secs to do that. Of course I painted it by walking on it from one end to the other. Once done, I switched the flashlight OFF.

I got back to pick up my flash on which I put a red gel filter. Returned in front of the column and popped up the flash a couple of times and I did the same for the wall on the right hand side. Got back to the camera and stopped the exposure.

This is pretty much out of the box except for a correction of the horizon of 0.4 degres, cropped, resized and voila.

Please feel free to comment and give some suggestions to improve for the next times

Regards.
    Benoit

[​IMG]

2. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice picture.
    I am going to try this technique sometime

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow that is great job.

wonderful image :>))

Congratulations.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I like the concept and the technical execution, but I'm not thrilled about the red on the stone pillars. I find it distracting, it pulls my eye first to one side, then the other, the right is the strongest. The subject seems to be the bridge, but the red is pulling my eye away from the bridge. Just my 2 cents....

5. Hi Benoit.
    I think you've done a great job with the exposure - not easy to do. That said, my idea of light painting is one where only some parts are highlighted.
    Denis Boily also suggests that we shoot before complete darkness and underexpose by - 2 EV so the sky will come out deep blue. Also, it's a bit less freacky than late at night. Last time I was there doing the same thing, I didn't feel so safe.

6. Benoit, i like it, i would put more red lighting on the cement in the front and for the railing more light in the front and less far away and i would write wy best wishes on the red part and make some holiday cards out of it.

7. To all...

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.:smile:
    Ben

8. I really like the bridge and beyond but am having a hard time figuring out the left and right sides. It doesn't seem to fit with the overall look of the image.

9. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Wonderful!

The effect is really dramatic in a subtle way. I'm inexperienced with light painting and can't imagine how this shot could be improved upon.
    Beautiful!!
    Robert