First attempt at manual pano stitching. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Vernon t, Sep 21, 2005.

1. I've always been intrigued by panos but never tried them much.
    When I've shot with a wide lens (12-24 at 12mm here) the edge distortion combined with my inability to hold a camera straight exacerbated by my unwillingness to schlep a tripod up to 12,000 feet has caused Photoshop's photo-merge to do a terrible job on my feeble attempts.

Last night on a whim I remembered six shots I took recently. They were misaligned, canted and unevenly overlapped but fortunately I had locked WB and exposure.
    After a bit of thought I used layer masks to erase edges, free transform/distort to drag edges into alignment and ultimately was fairly satisfied with my first ever attempt to manually align a panorama.
    Any suggestions or links to pano tutorials.
    Thanks, Vernon.

Link, below, is to full 800x4425 (downsized from giganto (48.4mp) D2X original Good thing my computer was in a good mood!).

http://www.pbase.com/image/49584099

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Very nice job Vernon. Never tried this myself so I am always impressed by others efforts.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi vernon-

have you considered using software that stiches pans together automatically? i'm not sure why a lot of people use photoshop or other photo editing software to do this manually, when there's software out there that does it for you automatically. it makes things easier, and i've pulled off pans without the use of a tripod (no close foreground objects).

ricky

5. If you look at my pbase site you will see the job that Photoshop photo-merge sub-program did. It did a not-so good job partly because I didn't do my part perfectly. Photo merge works beautifully and effortlessly with 20+mm shots or so. At 12mm there is so much distortion from squashing a spherical world onto a flat plane that it doesn't do so well. I know some of the problem is my technique. A tripod with a calibrated head (I was at airline weight limit at 49.95 lbs times two, sans tripod ) with level shots and evenly overlapped shots would help a lot.

I'm just pleased with my self proclaimed ingenuity using layer-masking with soft edged brushes combined with transform/distort to do this at all. At least some of my Photoshop-book-reading (for the price of a coffee at B&N) has helped.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK