First attempt at multiple lights (3 SB800's)

Discussion in 'People' started by SMH77, Apr 3, 2007.

1. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Here's a image I made with my 3 year old son (when he wouldn't stay in bed--his punishment was being my model to play with multiple flash setups :tongue:). The main light (camera right) was shot through a softbox, the fill (camera left) was shot through an umbrella, and the third light was on the background (a wall in my living room). Of course the subject makes the shot. Who says portraits aren't "action" shots! Catching a subjects' expression as it changes in order to get just the right expression sure is "action"-oriented! :biggrin:

138168207-L.

Technical: D200, 3 SB800's (manual mode), 17-55, etc. Yes, the wall is slightly off-white also...

Sean

2. I don't know if it's the bright background but he looks a little underexposed to me. That is a great expression you captured.

3. He does NOT look like a kid on punishment!! :biggrin: Nice shot, I think I'm going to incorporate my sb's into my setup with my alien bee...

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Nicely done! Great expression.

5. His enigmatic expression is captured well. Good balanced lighting. Aren't multiple SB800's fun?

6. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

It looks well exposed to me....nice shot, cute grin on the kids face.

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    The bright background and the fair skin just are too much. A black background would work better for this little man.

But I love the pose...he's such a cutie.

8. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Thanks for the advise and complements on my son being cute (I'm a little biased towards my kids, but what can I say?! :biggrin: ). I'm going to be ordering a darker background for an upcoming wedding so I'll have to give it another shot with that background--and an earlier time of night to see what I can pull out of him (and my other kids as well). Wait until I get a chance to work with my 18 month old daughter--she's such a ham is sickening!

Thanks to the others for the compliments as well. Yes, working with multiple flashes is a great thing--once you overcome the fear/complication of it all.

Sean

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like it
    He is a handsome fella.
    Love the expression
    Good job

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    What a cute little munchkin! Great capture!