First attempt at product photography...

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in since there isn't a "product or still life" category. I guess it could belong here since the background is all photoshop. Anyway, being the new owner of a slightly used D300, I decided to take some brochure style product photos of it. Lighting was via an off camera SB-600 fired via the CLS feature of my D80, with the on camera flash set to -0.3 TTL for fill. Here's what I came up with. Added the black background with slight radial gradient fill to separate the cam from the background. Also, on the first one (which happens to be my favorite), I had to darken the lens internals with the burn tool. I then brushed in a slight orange color overlay to make the front element look like it was highlighted, kinda like they do in other camera shots. That layer was set to Lighter Color for more realistic blending. What do ya think? Did I pull it off? Remember, this is my first attempt at this sort of thing.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

Edited to add: I figured I would show the "before" shot as well. As you can see, I had the D300 on a piece of white foam board and had a white trash can behind it to aid with selection of the camera. I really need to invest in a piece of white seamless paper... LOL Anyway, this is what the first image looked like "before". This gives you a better idea of what I did to things like the front lens element and darkening the lens internals.

original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one looks very good. The second image needs a bit of contrast with the background to bring out the hood in its lower right. Maybe a diagonal light gradient of the background from lower left corner and dying off just before the telephoto mount. This also is very nicely done. Congratulations!

D

drjiveturkey

Seemless white paper or you can just make a soft box like this (better lights would be nicer though)
2335204896_95b2e0425f.jpg

You'll get something like this as an end result...which makes it much easier to "brochure" the background.

2623268335_59c0768313.jpg

Looks pretty dang good to me! :cool:

Thank you. I was pleased with the results as well.

The first one looks very good. The second image needs a bit of contrast with the background to bring out the hood in its lower right. Maybe a diagonal light gradient of the background from lower left corner and dying off just before the telephoto mount. This also is very nicely done. Congratulations!

Thanks for the tip Barry. I'll see what I can come up with when I get home from work. I'm on my laptop right now, and the .pdf file is on my home computer. I'll have to try different things to see if I can get it looking realistic. I wanted it to look like a dark background that was lit with a snoot or something, and I'm not real sure how to incorporate a lighting effect around the hood. Still, it's just a matter of playing with different gradients and seeing how they come out. Thanks again

Seemless white paper or you can just make a soft box like this (better lights would be nicer though)
2335204896_95b2e0425f.jpg

You'll get something like this as an end result...which makes it much easier to "brochure" the background.

2623268335_59c0768313.jpg

Very nice. I don't know why I've not gotten around to making my own light tent yet. Looks easy enough, and the results are quite nice, even with some relatively low powered flouro bulbs lighting it.

I have a light tent, but it restricts shooting angles for larger items, so I prefer using an open table, light stands, and umbrellas. I place white foam core boards underneath and behind the subject,and light reflecting from the fcb acts as a kicker light for the subject.

99143705.gif

Since I'm not using a tent, I have the freedom to arrange the shooting perspective. In this case, I put the camera on a tripod, and tilted the ballhead.

View attachment 234801

I had to darken the lens internals with the burn tool. I then brushed in a slight orange color overlay to make the front element look like it was highlighted, kinda like they do in other camera shots.

That doesn't quite do it for me. An umbrella or a sheet of fcb in front of the lens usually results in a better rendering of the glass.

View attachment 234802

Here's my craptacular attempt, using a plain white sheet. You can even see the fuzz at the bottom lol.

2584720093_f4c0538694_b.jpg

That doesn't quite do it for me. An umbrella or a sheet of fcb in front of the lens usually results in a better rendering of the glass.

95304387.gif

True, using a couple lights with shoot through umbrellas would have been better, but I was very limited on space, so I just used one light with a stofen diffuser attached. While not the best option, don't you agree that the orange fill and burned internals looks better than the original lens?

Here's my craptacular attempt, using a plain white sheet. You can even see the fuzz at the bottom lol.

2584720093_f4c0538694_b.jpg

I think the sheet will make it a bit more difficult to make a selection of the camera. Then again, my first shot was so dark with shadows under the lens, that I was really unable to make an accurate selection as well. I just decided to make that part blend in with the black background so it wasn't noticeable.

Very nice work in any case, but especially for a first try at product photography (much more difficult than most people think). I suggest a couple of minor refinements: a little brighter on this one to bring out details more, and eliminate the shadow under the lens hood (either by lighting or post).

Thanks Peano. Very nice. I'm guessing you cut a selection of the brighter lens elements, and then moved them up, rotated slightly?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom