First attempt at star trails.

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by twinturboteddy, Aug 11, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

First breakup in trails I removed 10 frames due to flarring from camp fire nearby. The rest of the breakups resulted in battery issues.

2. Interesting, nice long trails. I tried once ages ago with my F100 & film when we were on top of a mountain in NC watching a storm in the distance. I didn't get any lightning strikes but I did catch a couple shooting stars

shootingstars.jpg

3. Pretty cool- about how long was the overall exposure?

4. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Cool - I like it a lot.

5. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Cool. I want to try this before the summer is out. I would like to know how long your exposure was for this too.

6. [​IMG]

The original at the beginning of this thread took nearly 2 hours. However the shorter cleaner trail version posted here is only 20 minutes.

7. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Did you stack images of shorter intervals for a TOTAL exposure of 20 minutes? Or was this a single 20 minute exposure?

8. Was that stacked in software? I like the long star trails, I always wanted to do one that led pretty much all the way around :)

What ISO was the film? That looks pretty clean!
    Also I believe those are satellite's in that pic

9. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice star trails ! Yes I too am wondering on your technique.

10. Niiiiiiice !

I am also interested in the technique used for these images !?!

:confused:
    J-P.

11. At first i was attempting simply using a super long exposure with a MC-30 remote cord with trigger lock in BULB mode for the shutter. However I think is inherent a problem with digital is "dark noise". A super long exposure heats up the sensor which creates purple/pink haze that really isn't there in the image. This doesn't happen with film I guess because heat isn't generated.

To fix that problem I took multiple frames at 30s each and stacked all the images using tihs program. I think realistically for 30s frames all you need is 20 mins worth.

But you WILl need a MC-30 remote. I set the camera in burst mode (NON-bracketing) on CH with a EXP delay on to minimize shutter shake. I set it on manual for 30s f/4 ISO 800 I think.

http://www.startrails.de/

12. Thanks a bunch for the tips !

BTW, what F-length did you use ?

Cheers,
    J-P.