1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First attempt at star trails.

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by twinturboteddy, Aug 11, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

First breakup in trails I removed 10 frames due to flarring from camp fire nearby. The rest of the breakups resulted in battery issues.

2. Interesting, nice long trails. I tried once ages ago with my F100 & film when we were on top of a mountain in NC watching a storm in the distance. I didn't get any lightning strikes but I did catch a couple shooting stars

shootingstars.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. Pretty cool- about how long was the overall exposure?

4. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Cool - I like it a lot.

5. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Cool. I want to try this before the summer is out. I would like to know how long your exposure was for this too.

6. [​IMG]

The original at the beginning of this thread took nearly 2 hours. However the shorter cleaner trail version posted here is only 20 minutes.

7. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Did you stack images of shorter intervals for a TOTAL exposure of 20 minutes? Or was this a single 20 minute exposure?

8. Was that stacked in software? I like the long star trails, I always wanted to do one that led pretty much all the way around :) 

What ISO was the film? That looks pretty clean!
    Also I believe those are satellite's in that pic

9. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice star trails ! Yes I too am wondering on your technique.

10. Niiiiiiice !

I am also interested in the technique used for these images !?!

:confused: 
    J-P.

11. At first i was attempting simply using a super long exposure with a MC-30 remote cord with trigger lock in BULB mode for the shutter. However I think is inherent a problem with digital is "dark noise". A super long exposure heats up the sensor which creates purple/pink haze that really isn't there in the image. This doesn't happen with film I guess because heat isn't generated.

To fix that problem I took multiple frames at 30s each and stacked all the images using tihs program. I think realistically for 30s frames all you need is 20 mins worth.

But you WILl need a MC-30 remote. I set the camera in burst mode (NON-bracketing) on CH with a EXP delay on to minimize shutter shake. I set it on manual for 30s f/4 ISO 800 I think.

http://www.startrails.de/

12. Thanks a bunch for the tips !

BTW, what F-length did you use ?

Cheers,
    J-P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.