First attempt at sunset reflected into clouds

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by helmet155, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Using some new techniques from Reznick's ebook and a new plugin from Fred Miranda...(Stair Interpolator..)

Please critique, don't hold back...

[​IMG]

-Brett

2. I'd move the horizon line up a little bit. It also seems a little underexposed for my preferences. The clouds are great. The composition is somewhat lacking in my opinion.

Move the horizon line up a bit and give it one or two stops more of light and I think you'd have a halfway compelling image.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Quite beautiful.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    While I'm not one for the usual rules of composition, in this case, the rule of thirds would help. As said above, moving the horizon up to the third point would help, and I'd also try some levels to add a little contrast, maybe even punch up the color abit. You could also try a different crop, maybe a vertical....

5. Thanks all for the comments...I banged this out just now, different composition and some EV adjustment and contrast bumps in capture...

[​IMG]

More comments and critiques welcome...

-Brett

6. I'd move it up even a little more, but, it's better than the first attempt. The only thing that's wrong with it now is the horizon line isn't straight! Gotta have a straight horizon line on these kinds of shots.

The EV and color boost have all added in a positive way to the image.

7. Hi,
    Well, I'm too new to all this to give any advice :smile: but I wanted to say that I prefer your original shot as you posted it - I think it's beautiful. To me, the beauty of this shot is in the colour of the sun and sky at the horizon, and the light playing on the clouds higher up. By raising the horizon, you've sacrificed some of the clouds and I think the clouds are more interesting in this shot than the sea. By increasing the EV, you've lost something (to my eye anyway) of the intensity/impact of the colour of the sun setting.

Just some thoughts as they occurred to me, hope I'm not out of line

8. Justin you're right the Horizon line is skewed...that can be fixed...

When I was taking most of the pictures that evening I was trying to follow the 1/3 rule - using the gridlines in the viewfinder...not on all of them but the one posted last was...

puzzle, I do agree with you about the colors in the first one, you're definitely not out of line - I appreciate your feedback.

9. Brett I prefer the reworked pictures but it seem you lost some color in doing so. I am still working with JPEG and I noticed when i downside my picture, they get a little darker in the process, is it the same with raw pictures?

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I still like the first one.

Rules are made to be broken and I think this one is broken well :>))

Just my 2 cents.

First one draws you way into the image.

11. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    I agree 100% with Gale.

But - there's always a but? the bottom of the picture does look like it could use some brightening. What would have really helped as far as the water is concerned is to have a reflection of the sun and color just above it, in the water.
    Of course that could be realized with Photoshop.

The second version just shows more of the dull water and less of the interesting clouds.

12. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I like it just that way it is ! A unique sunset composition that defies the norm. This is a creative image from my point of view :smile:

Regards

RFC