First attempt at UV

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Wilk, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    I got a 35mm f/2.5 series E yesterday and got my b + w UV Black 403 and hot mirror filter today, so even before removing the multicoating on the lens yet (going with Bjørn's reccomendations from his site with that) I went out to give it a go today. Was very cloudy as we have yet another hurricane on the horizon, but given that you can get sunburned on a cloudy day, I figured UV would work :tongue: .

Really, I have no idea what I'm looking for other than testing on flowers to look for the UV signatures as Bjørn suggests, but while the out-of-cam shots looked pretty boring, I went ahead and did some tweaking... interesting information in the rgb channels, for sure, it just renders a fairly flat purple out of the camera - that is so far, not having done all the steps.

OK, enough with the digression, here's the pic: (D2x; 15sec@f/5.6 iso100)

[​IMG]

Something tells me I'm going to have fun with this as well

2. very nice!
    can't wait to see what you do in the future with UV, I also hope to do some.

3. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks Harrison!

Actually, it isn't squat comp wise, but I was really just tooling around on my bike thinking about what might be interesting, and wound up on the beach. I probably should have gone out on the beach proper and got a more interesting foreground, such as the lifeguard shack that's tiny in the shot. However, I had my laptop with me because I wanted to shoot tethered so I could see more than the dispaly on the cam - check the shadows and highlights in capture, etc. I didn't want all that near the sand, besides, it's impossible to use a kickstand in sand anyhow.

I'll probably shoot teathered a few more times till I get used to how the histogram relates to the actual image. Interesting that I was getting more dynamic range out of some of them than the cam can actually handle, but these are things I'll have to adjust to - having a laptop tethered to the cam sure does help.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Nice try, Steve. The colour palette is quite typical what you get with UV on the D2X. So is the low contrast of the subject(s) on the ground. UV reflection is nearly opposite of IR, thus the sky typically appears washed out (whitish-yellowish, not black as in IR), and foliage is sombre and dark. No bright "IR trees" here for sure.

While D2X does have some UV sensitivity, albeit at least 1.5 stop less than D1H and 2-3 stops less than D70, its UV response does not extend deep into the UV range, so you are unlikely to get much out of it from below 370 nm or so. This means that the classic "18A" filter type is about as hard UV filtration as you can apply with this camera and for example the Hoya U-340 (which peaks at 340 nm) cannot be used unless you want virtually black images with no detail :frown: On the other hand, by being less sensitive to IR than most DSLRs, you don't need the more exotic and expensive IR-blocking filters on it in conjunction with the UV bandpass filter. I notice you use the 403 and combined with a hot-mirror filter this is a good choice for D2X. You might experiment by leaving out the hot mirror to achieve concurrent UV and IR, but this likely will yield quite unsharp images unless you stop the lens well down.

For my own work I do want to have a complete command of the UV techique, so I use subjects with known UV pattern to calibrate my setups. For pictorial photography this isn't really necessary, just fire away and make the images like you wish. The files will appear pinkish and flat in contrast straight out of the camera, so post-processing is always needed (these are true digital negatives in need of development as it were). You will after a while get an understanding of how subjects respond in UV, so you can pre-visualise the images.

5. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Bjørn,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful response. I did actually shoot that scene with my other D70 because you stated earlier that the D70 does have a better spectral response, not having any idea what I'm talking about :eek: I definately noticed that. I can count on one hand the number of times I've shot jpeg with the D2x... I shoot virtually nothing but raw. I fooled around with the white balance settings and was getting some interesting results - one of the things I noticed is all images are very over saturated color wise shot with auto WB, in fact, when tweaking just the different WB settings, got some interesting results. I then went into set gray point in NC and started tweaking the red and blue, I found that taking them both way down in value rendered some very interesting results with the D70 image... This is strait out of the cam with red/blue values of .24/.51 - that seemed to be the point just before over saturation of any one color channel:

[​IMG]

There is a lot more color info in the channels than any D2x image I shot, so for purposes of artistic rendering, I *may* end up using the unmodified D70 more than the D2x - funny how all this invisible light stuff has me keeping the dust off my D70's :tongue:

Anyhow, thanks again for your help, I do so greatly appreciate it.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think I like the color in the original better. Good stuff.
    Bjorn does some interesting things for sure. Boy what knowledge that man has .
    Love watching you guys with this.

7. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Hello,

I like both shots but have to agree that the first one is the better of the two. Beach shots are great - the scenery is constantly changing and makes you work quickly due to the nature of the ocean.