First attempt at volleyball pics (D300 ISO 1600-2500)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by xenonsupra, Sep 5, 2008.

1. My first attempt at shooting volleyball. It was much harder than I expected to get decent action shots. It moves so fast and it was really tough. I think it will be much easier the next time around.

All taken with D300 and either 80-200 f/2.8 or 50 f/1.8

ISO ranged from 1600-2500 I think.

Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nice stuff!
    The combo (D300 80-200 2.8) worked well.
    Who won?
    Fred

3. GT won 3 games to 0.

We have a game tomorrow, I may go shoot that as well. Depending on how I'm feeling.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    All in all, I think you did well. I would have been interested to see your results if you had used a flash pointed directly toward the ceiling to help illuminate the court. In this series, I think relying on the camera to expose the dimly lit venue may be too difficult a task. The images are certainly good, but the venue sure could have had better lighting.

5. I don't think we are allowed to use a flash. I would imagine it is distracting and would bother the athletes. I will bring it next time and ask. Thanks for the suggestion!

6. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I think Volleyball is pretty difficult to shoot too. Ive only shot it a couple of times .I wish I could shoot it more often ,cause like anything the more you do it ,the better you get.

Youve gotten the first one under youre belt ,& have a better idea of what to expect next time.

7. Yes I will definitely do some more games this season!

8. stevo

stevo

Aug 26, 2008
    Wexford, PA
    Shots came up pretty good nonetheless. I have similar issues shooting my son's basketball games in dimly lit spaces. Are you happy with the 80-200 2.8 ? I alternate between the 200 f/2 and the 85 f1.4 depending on where I can get a decent spot. I'm also looking at acquiring some strobes for our soon to be starting NBL season (Australia's version of the NBA). Great stuff !

Cheers,
    Steve