1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First attempt at volleyball pics (D300 ISO 1600-2500)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by xenonsupra, Sep 5, 2008.

1. My first attempt at shooting volleyball. It was much harder than I expected to get decent action shots. It moves so fast and it was really tough. I think it will be much easier the next time around.

All taken with D300 and either 80-200 f/2.8 or 50 f/1.8

ISO ranged from 1600-2500 I think.

Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nice stuff!
    The combo (D300 80-200 2.8) worked well.
    Who won?
    Fred

3. GT won 3 games to 0.

We have a game tomorrow, I may go shoot that as well. Depending on how I'm feeling.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    All in all, I think you did well. I would have been interested to see your results if you had used a flash pointed directly toward the ceiling to help illuminate the court. In this series, I think relying on the camera to expose the dimly lit venue may be too difficult a task. The images are certainly good, but the venue sure could have had better lighting.

5. I don't think we are allowed to use a flash. I would imagine it is distracting and would bother the athletes. I will bring it next time and ask. Thanks for the suggestion!

6. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I think Volleyball is pretty difficult to shoot too. Ive only shot it a couple of times .I wish I could shoot it more often ,cause like anything the more you do it ,the better you get.

Youve gotten the first one under youre belt ,& have a better idea of what to expect next time.

7. Yes I will definitely do some more games this season!

8. stevo

stevo

Aug 26, 2008
    Wexford, PA
    Shots came up pretty good nonetheless. I have similar issues shooting my son's basketball games in dimly lit spaces. Are you happy with the 80-200 2.8 ? I alternate between the 200 f/2 and the 85 f1.4 depending on where I can get a decent spot. I'm also looking at acquiring some strobes for our soon to be starting NBL season (Australia's version of the NBA). Great stuff !

Cheers,
    Steve

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.