First attempt with bracket and bounce card

Discussion in 'People' started by bwilder10h, Apr 6, 2007.

1. I was asked to photo a dinner (kinda like a reception) for my brother-in-law that was opening up a new resturant. He was fairly vague on what he wanted... just photos from the event of attendee's and their familes, guest speakers and his family.

The SB800 did wonderful with the homemade better bounce card attached. This room was on a military base officers club and terribly dark.

The man of the hour and his wife
    [​IMG]

Blessings and introductions from the 'big man' at the home office
    [​IMG]

Mom and Dad were proud as can be... you can see where my wife gets her good looks... mom-in-law
    [​IMG]

A prayer from the pastor to bless the new business and dedicate it to the Lord.
    [​IMG]

Here's my salute to Uncle Frank with some food pics.:wink: This is where the card amazed me. These areas were so dark and when I was going through the pics real quick when I got home, the wife even commented "wow, those are great considering how dark it was there..."
    The main course
    [​IMG]

Dessert looked good...

[​IMG]

Then he grabs me and says "I want to get a group shot of all my employees that are here tonight with my family" and I start sweating because the only light on me is my SB800 on a stroboframe bracket. So I started firing some test shots as they were gathering. I figured my best chance was to fire the 800 straight at them and with the card still flipped up, try to throw the light toward the edge. Given the circumstances, I think it did pretty well.

[​IMG]

All these shots were taken with my 18-70 kit lens and I'm glad I brought it along. I almost couldn't back up enough to get the entire group in and in the back of my mind I thought... "this is one situation where my prized lens (the beast) would have gotten me in trouble". I think a 17-55 is on my short list again. Who says you can't have both... :biggrin:

The family... you may recognize the beautiful pregnant woman on the far right :wink:
    [​IMG]

The company mascot... such a ham... :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

2. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Excellent flash work!!:eek:

3. Thanks Stu. Nikon's TTL and this card even makes a baffoon like me look good every once in a while. :tongue:

4. ja6ke

ja6ke

Dec 28, 2006
    U.S. D.C. area
    Very nice! Especially the group shot which would seem to include an almost impossible set of variables. It looks quite good to me.

How did you deal with the bounce card when you flipped the bracket to portrait?

5. Jake, once the card is attached to the flash, you never touch it unless you find yourself in a spot like I did with the group shot. I then pointed the flash directly at the group and flipped the card up to try to throw light to the ends of the crowd with the spill.

The stroboframe isn't the greatest bracket but works fine for me. The neat thing about this bracket is when you put the flash in portrait orentation, the flash still stays facing forward and not turned to the side like some others I've seen. That reminds me, I need to take my sc-17 apart tonight and shorten/solder it back together. The long cord was kind of a hastle with this setup.

People look at you like you have three heads when you come at them with this setup, but the results are excellent.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent images.
    You might think of running the group shot through shadow/highlights in PS to even out your light a touch.

other than that I think you did a bang up job and everyone whould be very pleased

7. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    What bracket are you using?

8. Thanks Gale.

James, it's the VH-2000 stroboframe.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  9. ja6ke

ja6ke

Dec 28, 2006
    U.S. D.C. area
    Brian, I looked on bh and found only one stroboframe $78 but it looks like it would change the orientation of the flash when you flip the bracket. I have the CB Jr. and it changes the orientation of the flash which I found making the better bounch card kind of difficult (read, stays in bag a lot). Do you have a different bracket or does the strobo flip in some crazy way I can't tell from the pick on bh?

10. Brian,
    These are great. I've shot several large parties like this for my own business, and I've always been amazed at how well Nikon's iTTL performs. I've never been much at flash photography in the past, but the present system really works!

Nicely done.

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I started using Dembs Flash Bracket for this very reason...I sold my CBJR. I love love love my Demb Bracket now.... I also use it with a bounce card. $80 well spent IMO.

Brian these are great shots. Nicely done.

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

Very nice Brian

try your abetterbouncecard without any gizmos...i find it works just dandy:cool:
    ....good looking (very good looking) Mom n law...your wife is living proof "the fruit don't fall far from the tree"
    :biggrin:

13. Thanks Mitch. The TTL system really does a bang up job. My only other experience with flash photography was on my Sony 828 with their HVL-1000 flash. That did a nice job as well but wasn't as 'smart' as the TTL system. :wink:

Thanks Josh. You really like the Demb bracket huh... it looks pretty flimsy in the pics and then being the anal rententive kinda guy that I am, it bothered me that the flash doesn't point straight up and is kinda angled on the bracket. I'm sure it doesn't make a difference, but it just bothered me the way it looks...

Nute, I have tried the card on the flash with it mounted in the hotshoe and it did very well. Still got some shadows here and there though that you dont get with a flash bracket.

Yep, mom-in-law is a very beautiful lady. Both her parents are just two of the nicest people you could ever meet in your life. I know a lot of people hate their in-laws, but mine are the best in the world. I'm very blessed to be a part of their family.

14. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

It is very Homebrew, if you know what I'm saying, but a much cheaper alternative to the RSS camera rotating system. The cool thing about it is that you get directional (not from directly above) lighting bounced from the angled flash. I'm sure that you've visited his site...so you know what I'm talking about. It isnt too expensive, and I'm thinking about adding a second one for my D50 so my wife has one when she shoots with me.

15. Yeah that was my thoughts on it when I was viewing it on their site. Looks like something I might put together in my garage. Maybe I should have and sold them to pay for my lens lust.:biggrin:

If I were doing weddings or events like this all the time, I might justify a RRS unit at $240 but for the little bit of flash work I do, the stroboframe is fine for me.

16. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

It is slim enough to fit in my camera bag attached to the camera, and I dont hesitate to reach for it when I need it. When I had the CBJR, I rarely used it becaue of its bulk and weight.

If my Demb bracket ever falls apart, I can easily rebuild it with parts from Lowes or Home Depot....if you have the means to bend 1/4" metal, then you could probably make one. The $80 was worth it to me though. Maybe after my wedding season is done, I'll send it to you to play with for a weekend.

17. Good shots Brian, I too find this to be a handy gadget and carry one with me at all times. I have thanked Uncle Frank more than once for turning me on to that. I made 6 of them out of the foam material and keep them in my backpack.

18. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Well done, Brian.

I love Chick-Fil-a. =]

19. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:cool: Looks as if you did a good job. Wonder why you don't use the flash card built-in or the bounce cap that comes with the flash. I shoot weddings and special events all the time and have no problems.
    bsvirginian