1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First attempt

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Timdoggydizzle05, Jul 26, 2009.

1. This is pretty much my first time trying a portrait, basically im a broke high school student making use of what i can. I need opinions cause imo its the best way to learn. I used two 4' shop lights with natural daylight bulbs from phillips, 120w natural daylight bulb in a floodlight, and the sb-600 fired. The wall was the background, would using a white sheet change anything? I feel like there is so many variables when you get into portraits its fun...
    What I came out with.
    3757713091_3101091fa0.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Setup from my point of view, I was centered in the portrait how ever not while taking this picture... haha
    View attachment 387211

2. Tim,
    Two things jump out, put more distance between your subject and the back drop, and raise the height of the SB600. Both of these will help eliminate the shadow. You may also want to get rid of some of the lighting(the shop lights) and use a reflector (white cardboard) instead of mixing three different sources. You can get more dramatic lighting from a single light source and a reflector then you have in this shot.
    Mike

3. ok thank you ill give it a shot

4. there is no need to use lights and take someone indoors for portraits,. there's a whole world out there,. some nice pics taken outside with natural light in recent thread https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=236468

it is not about buying or using expensive equipment or lighting, or at least it should not be most of the time :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.