first attempts at night / long exposure shooting

I've been wanting to try some night/long exposure shots for a long time and the planets finally aligned while we were camping with friends this past weekend. I'm pretty happy with what I got:

1. Campground at 3:25am; the moon was just coming up over the hillside:
7007315rs-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D700, 24-120 @ 24mm, tripod, ~3 minute exposure
Not all that scenic unless you are into photos of Dodge Sprinters, tents, etc. but I like the light.

2. Bonfire and my husband:
7007477rs-L.jpg

D700, 24-120 f4 @ 24mm, tripod, 6 second exposure
Next time I'm going to wait until the fire is more embers than fire.

3. Friends around the campfire (3am):
7007311rs-L.jpg

D700, 24-120 @ 24mm, tripod, ~3 minute exposure

Looking forward to doing more of these!
--Sarah

curious, how id you do a 3 min exposure? if the d700 is anything like the d300s... i though that anything past 30 seconds was BULB mode which required you to use a cable release shutter trigger.

i would love to do a 3 minute exposure with my d300s but cant get past 30 seconds right now.

curious, how id you do a 3 min exposure? if the d700 is anything like the d300s... i though that anything past 30 seconds was BULB mode which required you to use a cable release shutter trigger.

i would love to do a 3 minute exposure with my d300s but cant get past 30 seconds right now.

you already said the answer. put the camera on bulb, use a cable release. use your watch or maybe your cellphones stopwatch for the time.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom