first baby steps with the Mamiya RB67

D

Deleted member 960

I got this camera in the mail last Tuesday, and was determined to shoot a
roll thru it today, even with heavy overcast pissying-grey light, but am
encouraged with what this camera will do (in the hands of a real photographer :biggrin:):

leg up
6734445431_848c8be19d_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shanghai 100>400 (thanks again, Steve!) Rodinal 1+100, semi-stand for 2 hours,
20C. Using the Sekor 65mm lens (equivalent to somewhere between 32-33mm
lens, 35mm format)

And a pic of the lil snapdragon:
6716893567_3bec44d0da_z.png

came with both the 90 and the 65 lenses, plus a Polaroid back I'll never use

D

Deleted member 960

Here are two more, negs were thin, thinking the dev/push was not a good
plan:

another view of the Catholic church courtyard
6734456681_4b8811cb6d_b.png

Beth, who had to crouch down (she's 5'11" and I'm 5'6" do the math:biggrin:,
yes, waist level viewfinder:
6734445439_5d76c28f73_b.png

both with the 65mm lens, already love it, close focuses to 3 and 7/32" from
subject. And no worries about parallax since it's a single lens reflex.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful.

The tonal range and differentiation is just so wonderful in medium format.

The Mamiya RB/RZ system always has been a great temptation, especially with current prices - these images are not helping...

But between Hassy and pentax67, the last thing I need is another MF system.

Keep this thread rolling, keep posting images - please! Great stuff.

K

keytarjunkie

Don't discount the polaroid back. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it takes pack film which Fuji still makes, about $8 for 10 shots which is only slightly more than a roll of 120 film. With pack film you peel it apart and you get a finished product as well as a negative which can be messed with and made to look really cool, plus scanned and blown up a bit. The RZ and RB are my favorite pack film cameras since the image is a square 7x7cm with diagonal edges on the corners. And it's actually centered on the film which most other cameras don't do. It's really cool. You should try it. Good luck!

Here's an example of someone who routinely uses pack film with a RZ and makes positive scans:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davisayer/sets/72157627479092705/

Nice start Bill. I borrowed a RB67 once, it's a real beast of a camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 960

I knew that I shouldn't have opened this thread! :wink: You are off to a great start- enjoy the new kit.

David, thanks!

Wonderful.

The tonal range and differentiation is just so wonderful in medium format.

The Mamiya RB/RZ system always has been a great temptation, especially with current prices - these images are not helping...

But between Hassy and pentax67, the last thing I need is another MF system.

Keep this thread rolling, keep posting images - please! Great stuff.

Andreas, thanks! I'm hoping for better light next time.

Oh, please tell me about Shanghai film.

I like it, similar to Fuji Acros, and my wife (she's in Thailand) says it's available
in Ubon, as well as the Lucky color film in 120. When you pull the strip off the
reel, the borders are clear like Acros, and it has the same flimsy going for it.:biggrin:

Congrats on a great system Bill & nice start!

Thanks, bud!

Don't discount the polaroid back. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it takes pack film which Fuji still makes, about $8 for 10 shots which is only slightly more than a roll of 120 film. With pack film you peel it apart and you get a finished product as well as a negative which can be messed with and made to look really cool, plus scanned and blown up a bit. The RZ and RB are my favorite pack film cameras since the image is a square 7x7cm with diagonal edges on the corners. And it's actually centered on the film which most other cameras don't do. It's really cool. You should try it. Good luck!

Here's an example of someone who routinely uses pack film with a RZ and makes positive scans:

Keytar, really like his choice of subject matter! :biggrin: OK, need to do some
investigating, thanks!

Nice start Bill. I borrowed a RB67 once, it's a real beast of a camera.

Robert, it is heavy, but I think the heft is worth it, thanks!

Real Name
Chris
Nice sales pitch!

K

keytarjunkie

Nice sales pitch!

LOL the polaroid back is actually the only reason I'd ever get a RB or RZ. My Mamiya 7 has leaf shutter lenses and my Pentax is lighter than the RZ (I think), easier to use/more of a classic SLR, shutter speed up to 1/1000, etc and I like the lenses on both systems better than the RZ or RB lenses. They are still good systems though, I just don't think I could ever get used to that insane mirror blackout.

D

Deleted member 960

LOL the polaroid back is actually the only reason I'd ever get a RB or RZ. My Mamiya 7 has leaf shutter lenses and my Pentax is lighter than the RZ (I think), easier to use/more of a classic SLR, shutter speed up to 1/1000, etc and I like the lenses on both systems better than the RZ or RB lenses. They are still good systems though, I just don't think I could ever get used to that insane mirror blackout.

Keytar, the back I have just has Polaroid and Mamiya on it, no model #.
Will see if there's any info on different backs for Mamiya.

D

Deleted member 960

Nick, I hope you got your bottle of Visine uncapped in time.:biggrin: Any snow
in Moscow? Last time I called my folks in Sandpoint they said Schweitzer
was hurting for snow.:frown:

D

Deleted member 960

Bill ,great as usual .I just purchased a 645 and cant wait til it comes in.

Mark, thanks, and congrats on the 645! One thing I didn't do in these is the 65
has a floating element and there's a distance scale on the lens you adjust for close-ups. Woops. :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom