1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First Baseball pics

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by tomtodeath, Apr 4, 2007.

1. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    Shot with a Sigma 80-400. Unforntunatley, it was a Canon mount lens...
    445852908_631890333e_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

445852898_fa7425d44c_o.jpg

445852916_517c61f0a9_o.jpg

445852914_4329cebffc_o.jpg

2. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Good action captures. I especially like #3...that's priceless!

Nothing wrong with a Canon mount lens. The key piece of equipment is the one behind the camera...you!

3. Nice shots doenst matteer what you shoot here. I am in Cherry Hill Nj what part of Jersey are you located in

4. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    thanks! It was just a little fusterating, when Im used to my D200, and had to get used to a 30D. Mike- I live about an hour north of Cherry Hill in New Brunswick.

5. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Nice! I really like the action in #2. I'm going to shoot a T-Ball game on Saturday and these are inspiring

6. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    Thanks! t-ball was also really fun. heres a few more from the same day:

445852910_207e76d287_o.jpg

446488877_436a984fec_o.jpg

446488875_7e84fc8c37_o.jpg

7. i shoot a d200 & a 30d at the same time (well not the exact same time)
    & i finally got used to it but the d200 in good light is a far better camera

8. actually no but we can help
    you are either missing focus or not sharpening these
    u also need to increase your ss even at the cost of iso and on the 30d iso is no prob all the way to 1200 (which u shudn't need to get close to)

the crops are nice, the action is good but the backgrounds are messy
    try f5.6 & 1/500 and find the iso u need to get that
    AF for the eyes
    USM every pic in PP

9. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I have a question. Are you engaging the OS on the 80-400mm before you release the shutter? Are you using OS at all? Sometimes, in that split moment that it takes for the OS to engage, the image will jump around and be blurry. I onyl ask because it seems like there is softness in the image that is possibly either caused by movement of the camera, or too slow of a SS to freeze the action appropriatley.

If using OS, you should have the OS engaged a few seconds before you want to take the actual picture. If not using OS, I reccomend upping the SS like Randy said.

10. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    Thanks for the help, maybe i should have left the OS off. this was my first time using a lens like this, and had never used any lens with OS/VR before. The slowest shutter speed I used was 1/500, and for most shots the shutter speed was 1/1000 or faster.

11. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    May I chime in and ask why the 80-400 ?? These are smaller kids and the fields are not that big...Do you have any other options for lenses...My guess is that you were at the 80 length more than 400...

Just asking...You do have some great captures here...I love this age group.
    The photos can be priceless.

ParkerBaseball046.jpg

12. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    Very nice! I love the facial expressions kids make, like that one. I was using an 80-400 because I do not own any long lenses, and that was the only one available for me to borrow for that day. I would have loved an 70/80-200, as I think I mainly stayed in that range, only going up to 300 a few times.
    thanks again!

13. the 80-400's af is kinda slow on a d50 but fine on a d200...it's not afs but it shuld be fine

turn off OS completely, the ss will more than compensate for any cam shake

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.