First batch from Sun-N-Fun 2021

Real Name
Alex
Came back from Sun-N-Fun 2021 (the second biggest airshow in the USA and one of the three biggest in the world).

Go there every year, but in 2020 it was closed.

This marks some firsts.

The first appearance of the new Blue Angels Supper Hornet.

My first trip with the Tamron 150-600. I bought this lens for birding a year ago and could not try it in the 2020 show. Proved to be very nice. Unfortunately, as always, any long-range shot has to contend with hot air which makes them unusable. Topaz Sharpen AI did a very good job in a few to make them passable, but many had to be cut.

I came back with over 7,000 images (air sequences are burst shots). After days of culling, I am left with about 900 usable ones to go through. These are the first batch as I wanted to get the Blue Angels shots out first.

1. note these are two planes, they are so close
500_3408-copy-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

500_3451-copy-L.jpg

500_3463-copy-L.jpg

500_3493-copy-L.jpg

500_3499-copy-L.jpg

500_3511-copy-L.jpg

500_3524-copy-L.jpg

500_3534-copy-L.jpg

500_3668-copy-L.jpg

500_3689-copy-L.jpg

(continued...)

Last edited:
Real Name
Alex
500_3708-copy-L.jpg

500_3747-copy-L.jpg

Real Name
Ken St John
First and foremost ... great shots, each and every one!! Agree with Mike about 12.

It's been a long time since I've seen the Blues in person, and I know this is their first year with the Super Hornets, but personally, I find the "US NAVY" lettering on the underside of the fuselage just above the main landing gear to be kinda ugly. Looks out of place and garish. It's probably designed to maximize the message that these are "Navy" guys ... but I don't think this logo is necessary, there's plenty of other lettering that looks nice.

Really looking forward to what's to come from your trip!!

Ken

Real Name
Andy
Nice work, Alex. The Blues are always a treat. The early date in the airshow season and presumably, unstable hot air in Lakeland require them to fly a little looser than they would in ideal conditions, but your images make the most of the challenging conditions.

Real Name
Alex
Nice work, Alex. The Blues are always a treat. The early date in the airshow season and presumably, unstable hot air in Lakeland require them to fly a little looser than they would in ideal conditions, but your images make the most of the challenging conditions.

Thanks. Spent only two (very long) days.

Came back as a lobster. Very crowded, masks was an issue though I had mine on at all times. Was not overly hot (by FL standards), but some flying shots are from far away, and many I had to throw out due to air turbulence.

Real Name
Alex
First and foremost ... great shots, each and every one!! Agree with Mike about 12.

It's been a long time since I've seen the Blues in person, and I know this is their first year with the Super Hornets, but personally, I find the "US NAVY" lettering on the underside of the fuselage just above the main landing gear to be kinda ugly. Looks out of place and garish. It's probably designed to maximize the message that these are "Navy" guys ... but I don't think this logo is necessary, there's plenty of other lettering that looks nice.

Really looking forward to what's to come from your trip!!

Ken

I do not particularly like their new Wavy Navy side signs either.

Real Name
Alex
Nice images
Alex, where were you sitting? I was at the 9/27 club wed, thur, fri.
I go every year, we need to meet up.
gary

We do need to meet up.

For these series I was on the stands by Fat Albert, Friday and Saturday only

I usually go to the EAA tent (usually next to the 9/27 Club) but they were not there this year.

Just looked at making a reservation for next year (I always reserve hotel a year in advance), but they are crazy. Double the prices. They want now $320 for one night! What? It is not the Hilton in Manhattan. I went for two nights to the same place every year. Was planning on only one night next year. Not at these prices. With gas (two full tanks round trip)/parking $10-a-day/show tickets $40-a-day, it becomes ridiculous. I will instead go with a friend that flies his Cessna in for the day every year. A 1-hour flight instead of a 4-hour drive. Works well, if the weather is nice.

Real Name
Andy
Let’s save a date to do a Nikon café meet up at next year’s Sun ‘n Fun. I haven’t gone in a very long time, as I’ve been going to Airventure for the last ten or eleven years (with the exception of last year of course).

Real Name
Alex
Let’s save a date to do a Nikon café meet up at next year’s Sun ‘n Fun. I haven’t gone in a very long time, as I’ve been going to Airventure for the last ten or eleven years (with the exception of last year of course).

Sounds good.
I am thinking also of going to Jupiter for the lighthouse (never seen). Any good for photography?

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Thanks for sharing, I used to be an Oshkosh EAA regular (I am life member) for a week at a time, but not recently. Cafe meetup down there sounds good for you folks next year.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom