First Big lax tournament

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by acena, Jun 29, 2007.

1. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I did my first big tournament last weekend. While I have done small ones where there is only one game going on at a time, this was my first one where there were 11 fields and 100 teams competing all day for two days. GenoP as well as other colleagues came out to help so there were four of us shooting plus three kids, including my two, served as lackeys.

Lots of lessons learned such as 1) having a dedicated work flow person to sort through images all day while the photogs are out on the field; and 2) having a backup internet service. It took me two extra days to go through 102 games and more than 20,000 images. Then my Internet Service Provider, Comcast, had upstream issues so my upload speed fell to as low as 10kbs so that cost me another two days.

I brought my stuff to a friend's business and it turns out he was having the same issue because it was a town wide problem. I have since called Verizon to hook me up with DSL. The cable line will go to the router from now on. That will serve the family needs. The DSL will go straight into my computer. That will give me a redundant high speed connection. I turned down three other tournaments like this. Good thing too as they would have been back to back weekends and I need to iron out these issues first. Plus I do want to enjoy the summer

Here are a few shots. The only one I know was mine for sure is the first one. The other's could be Geno's or Kent's. I left out Alan's shots since he was shooting with a Canon. Those I can tell because they were a bit cooler than the Nikon images. I was shooting a D2Xs with a 400/2.8 + a 1.4 tele. Geno shot with a D2X + 300/2.8 + 1.4 tele. Kent had the same lens kit as Geno but was using a D200 body.

Geno actually listened about how I wanted the images shot. i.e. tight enough so no cropping would be necessary though the others shot tight 75% of the time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Outstanding shots Alex, I've seen the light w/ tighter shots, LOL...I'd be curious to see a (gasp) Canon one to see the cooler image as a comparison.

I'm fortunate to have Verizon's FiOS and it's awesome, esp for upstream, here's hoping it comes to your township soon.

3. Sounds like the real work is done after the fact. What are you using to edit and PP? I use Photomechanic/Capture NX and ACD See and it seems to be working well so far, but I haven't yet dealt with 20k images.
    Comcast is tricky down by me as well, the Verison deal sounds good but be advised the start up costs can be a surprise.

4. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I wish I had FIOS also, but it's not coming to my neighborhood soon. My original plan was to send all the images on a hard drive to Photoshelter, which would have cost me another day. In retrospect that is exactly what I should've done because it would have saved me time and a head ache. In fact, I still plan to send them a drive so I can archive everything (120Gb).

I used Photomechanic. The shots were either fine as is or we skipped it. This is a wild guess but 90% of my sales are tight isolation shots. It's almost 100% of all 8x10s and definitely 100% of all prints 11x14 and larger. So I just sit tight (pardon the pun) and wait until the player fills my frame.

Here are a couple of shots from our Canon shooter (Mark IIN).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The DSL start up costs didn't seem all that different. VZ told me I had to buy the modem whereas Comcast gave you a purchase or lease option, plus the filters for each phone jack. I don't believe in leasing so it's not a problem.

Thanks,
    Alex

5. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice action in these and I like the crops
    looks as if you had a little trouble with helmet shadows (harsh mid day light) but thats mens Lacrosse

I will be heading to the Tri-State tournament this coming Friday at Mercer park, my sons travel team is playing

6. Thanks for the Canon pics Alex, I see what you mean.

One 'hidden' cost for me, for FiOS, was there's this big honkin' battery backup unit inside my house (in addition to a big terminal on the outside) and I had to have an outlet installed so I could 'hide' it inside a closet, versus having it sit outside in my room near an existing outlet, or run an unsightly extension cord.

7. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Have fun at Mercer Park. It's a nice place. These were just sized for the web. We do not post process the images. Can't do that with 20K images. It's either right or wrong.

8. Nice and sorry to hear about your problems

Hey I know those shooters......lol sounds like a major undertaking tell geno and alan I say hi

9. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

hey alex did you have a vendor tent for on site sales or did you do everything online? ..... I'm just curious ....

10. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I had a tent to show off my stuff. But all sales were/are on-line though I did sell one of my samples that turned out to be one of the players at the tournament. I snapped a photo of him during the ice hockey season. All samples were 11x14s in a 16x20 matt. I also had 20x30 collages on 1/8 inch masonite. I am hesitatnt to do on-line sales since it would require more on-site workflow people and a big investment in printers and viewing stations. Also, I would only do it for big prints. Maybe 11x14s up to 13x19s.

11. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I think the three of you shot this same tournament last year. Next year I am going to courier my hard drive straight to PhotoShelter.