First Bird post - Birds of Prey 70-200 VR + TC 14 II E

comments welcome
Eurasian%20Eagle%20Owl%206-05%20web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bald%20Eagle%206-05%20web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For first birdy post, you just raised the bar. LOL............beautifully done. Shot at f4 with that combo gives you great DOF, like the compostion, and it is sharp. well done Chad!!! welcome to the birdy crew. Im thinking these werent taken in the wild, where did you visit, esquisite birds!!

Keith

B

Blind Observer

Chad, welcome to the forum and judging from your first post we should see beatifull photographs in the future. Very well done, really beatifull shots.

PGB

Owls are my abosolute favorite. GBH used to be but Owls are now. Probably because I have yet to capture one myself. One day!

Excellent.

Keith said:
For first birdy post, you just raised the bar. LOL............beautifully done. Shot at f4 with that combo gives you great DOF, like the compostion, and it is sharp. well done Chad!!! welcome to the birdy crew. Im thinking these werent taken in the wild, where did you visit, esquisite birds!!

Keith
Thanks for the comments, these were taken at a bird show.

Hi Chad

Great shots but a question as well?

I'm assuming that you shot these at f 4.5 in order to have a nicely defoccused background / get a decent shutter speed?

The reason I'm asking is that the 70-200 isn't truly sharp until at least f5.6 and moreso at 6.3 with a TC14EII.

At 5.6, when using a TC, you're getting the same DOF as you'd get with no TC at f4.

Not trying to be persnickity....I shoot birds a lot and I know with my equipment, I need to pay attention and make sure that I use the lens where you start to hit the sweet spot for optimal results with a TC.

Sure like these bird shots, Chad!

I"m having trouble finding any birds up here where I am for the summer.

Jim, thanks for the good information about the f stops with the 70-200 plus TC.... I will remember that.

Best to you,
Gaye

Re: Hi Chad

jfenton said:
Great shots but a question as well?

I'm assuming that you shot these at f 4.5 in order to have a nicely defoccused background / get a decent shutter speed?

The reason I'm asking is that the 70-200 isn't truly sharp until at least f5.6 and moreso at 6.3 with a TC14EII.

At 5.6, when using a TC, you're getting the same DOF as you'd get with no TC at f4.

Not trying to be persnickity....I shoot birds a lot and I know with my equipment, I need to pay attention and make sure that I use the lens where you start to hit the sweet spot for optimal results with a TC.
My main concern in choosing the aperture was throwing the background out of focus. I probably should have stopped down another stop - especially on the owl shot to get the whole profile in focus. I've never had a sharpness issue with this combo at these apertures but I will take your advisement and see if my shots improve at f/6.3. Thanks for the comments.

Latest threads

Top Bottom