First bird shots ever . . .

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Joe Marques, May 27, 2005.

1. . . . so be nice. :) My neighbor was being harassed by a blue-jay (I hope it's a blue-jay or blue bird - I'm no bird man) and I was fortunate enough to be around to capture the action. This bird was WAY up in a tree - I had the 300 f4 IS + 1.4 TC hand held and STILL needed to crop more than 60% of the shot to get what you see below. Now I know why you folks use 500+1.4! :D

I know I have a LONG way to go but at least I got a few sharp ones. The second shot here is soft but I just loved the implied action of the wings. I used ISO at 800 to keep the shutter high and kept it at f8 since I was worried about DOF wide open at 5.6.

I have MUCH admiration for you bird photogs - It's literally a pain in the neck looking way up in a tree with a long lens on. :D I was happy that I was able to spot the bird after looking through the VF. :lol:

Criticisms and comments welcome.

original.

original.

BTW, 8x11 prints are actually excellent after cropping almost 70% of the pixels away. Fred Miranda's resize action was a HUGE help (it's his new camera specific actions).

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Joe,

Just go away and leave the birdie shooting to us experts.... :lol:

These are wonderful shots. I don't want to hear anything about how you are a 'noob'. You are a good photog, and your skills translate well into this new area. I really hope that you will keep it up. I'm very impressed with the 20D high ISO performance. I'd like to see more. :wink:

3. you got it Joe. now get out there and shoot a bunch of them, I for one would enjoy seeing them.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW Joe,

I would never doubt that you could shoot everything. The birds do pose a different type of shooting for sure.

You have done a marvelous job. Very pretty shots.
    Action on the second one is great.

Your hooked now :>))))))) Only takes once.

5. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Ha, Good shots. this can be very addictive (right Frank?) Both of us can attest to that. they are very challenging but when you think you got a good one you usually hear a gotcha.

6. Thanks Frank. :D I really was fun and challenging. I honestly had no idea I captured a few tack sharp images - the bird is just too small on the LCD. ;)

As for the noise - I'm impressed as well. My exposures were horrible (completely user error - doh!) so I had to push the EV +1.25 stops in RSE when converting. That's impressively low noise for a badly underexposed shot.

BTW, here's one more from today:
    original.

7. Thanks Dave. I'm certainly encouraged by the results. Encouraged so much that I can't wait to try it again. :D Once you get a little taste of success birding it's quite addictive. It's like golf - one or two good shots bring you back again another day.

Regards,

Joe

8. Hi Gale, thanks for the kind words. :) I am hooked. I never really appreciated the thrill because my only other birding attempts resulting in stalking with no shots. This bird was so focused on watching my neighbor (who had messed with its nest - shame on him) that I was free to shoot a nice, still subject. Now that I tasted a few sharp bird shots - let me at 'em. All I need is a 500 f4. :wink:

Regards,

Joe

9. Thanks Greg. It certainly is addictive. I did have a tiny sense of when I captured a good one. Wasn't sure until I saw them on the computer. Now I know what to look for next time so it should be easier to hear the gotcha. :)

Regards,

Joe