First birds with D200

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jczinn, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Well my first, anyway :smile:

All with 80-400VR. Focus lock with this lens is definitely faster than with the D100, mostly noticable in dim light--much less hunting. But its no miracle cure for lack of AF-S (as one would expect.)

I got less in-focus "keepers" than I would have expected, even at high shutter speeds, and I'm not sure exactly why. Probably just need to get up to speed with the various focus options etc. But, the ability to shoot at higherer ISO's is awesome and will allow me to use higher shutter speeds than I could with the D100, so that is another plus.

I was also blown away with the frame rate---WOW--now I can see why I will need lots more CF cards. And I was using Continuous Low! I'm afraid to see what high might do! That alone blows the D100 out of the water. Not to mention the ability to use higher ISO's without worrying too much about noise. With the D100 I wouldn't dare go over 400 if I could possibly avoid it. I love the ergonomics, feature set, and the controls of this camera--now I just need some practice!

No flash used on these. Normally I would have used fill-flash but I didn't want to complicate things on the first day ;-) I really just wanted to see how it would do without flash.

1/800, F6.3

[​IMG]

1/250, F6.3

[​IMG]

1/500, F5.6

[​IMG]

1/500, F6.3

[​IMG]

The Hermit Thrush is at ISO 200, the others at 400.

2. wonderful images Janet

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Janet :

Lovely work. I think the combination of the D200 and the 80-400mm VR is going to be a rich system for you.

Question. Do you think the OOF shots from your batch were due to camera shake (I see the "slowest" is 1/250s, but the others are all 1/500s or faster) or focus speed ?

Great to see you here again.

John P.

4. Hi Janet I like the thrush the best, I am quite pleased with mine it is very usable at ISO 1600 as I have shot a few today just to see what they look like, I find the white balance is a bit hit and Miss it is not quite as good for in-flight shots as my D2x but I didn't expect it to be, anyway have fun with your new acquisition, and seasons greetings to you and your family.

Phillip.

5. Hi Janet

Some beautiful shots.

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Very nice! Maybe I'll keep my 80-400VR.....

7. Janet...you done real well here. My favorites are two and five. Keep up the good work.

8. Hi John, that's a good question--as you note these are at relatively high shutter speeds and so it should have stopped any motion blur. I don't even want to guess until I have a chance to shoot some more birds. Maybe it was just my hands shaking with the cold :redface:

I've been here on and off but hadn't been posting much--you may see more of me now :biggrin:

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful Janet,

Again I would love to see flight shots with that lens. :>)))

10. Phillip, I started off with Auto WB but didn't at all like what it was giving me, so I am going back to my old standby from the d100, Daylight -2 which has served me well. I almost never vary from that outdoors--unless it really is very cloudy. Anyway I always shoot RAW and adjust when needed. I prefer to know what my starting point is, rather than use Auto.

I'm looking forward to someone posting some flight-shots and how the D200 handled it! Maybe I'll get a chance but there's nothing much flying around here at this time of year except gulls and pigeons :rolleyes:

11. yep Gale me too! Who will be the first???

I will try for some this weekend...maybe I can scrounge up some ducks !!

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOL

I know I will be trying !!!!!!!!!

Just sittIn here waitin fer the .

.................................LITTLE BROWN TRUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!