First birds with the 300f/4

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Nikam, Jul 27, 2005.

1. This morning I went out into the grasslands to the west of the campus where I work. I was amazed at the variety of birds I saw. All taken with the 300f/4 + 1.7TC

Lewis Woodpecker:

View attachment 12783

Magpie:

View attachment 12784

American Kestrel:

Northern Flicker:

View attachment 12786

I also captured a Clark's Nutcracker, but it was too far away to make a decent picture. These birds are normally found high up in the mountains, but my NGS Field Guide says that they come down into the deserts and grassland about every 10 to 15 years, so it was neat to see one. I also missed the focus a bit on a Cedar Waxwing. I can't blame anyone but myself for that - I was manual focusing at the time (also for the flicker) since the AF was hitting on the leaves and not the bird. Maybe I'll have better luck another day with those two.

2. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Nikam I can see some halos especially in the American Kestrel shot. Did you post sharpen them?? Hope you love the lense, great captures.

3. Thanks, Jonathan. I was looking at the head when I sharpened and didn't notice the halo on the back wing. I'll have another go at it.

4. luv the kestrel, see your all loaded up and raring to go. good first series with many more to come ;-)

5. I wonder if that isn't compression rather than over sharpening. I'm seeing that alot lately both here and over at the other place.

Dennis, how do you like the 1.7? I'm using a Tamron 1.4 and am pretty happy with it but am finding I'd like a little more reach. These don't look too bad. I like the last one the best.

6. Keith,

Thanks for looking. I cropped the kestrel a chunk. Those birds are pretty small for the hawk family and hawks and eagles always seem to perch near the top of the taller trees - which are pretty da**ed tall here. I lugged that combo around all morning together with the sidekick and tripod - with the rest of my gear on my back. Worked up a pretty good sweat as it got pretty hot here today - up to 34C. I think it will be a while before I get a decent flight shot using that combo.

7. Kevin,

I don't think its the compression. I've been using an FM plug-in that I bought from Keith for that and it seems to do a pretty good job. The last couple of days I've been trying a new sharpening procedure which I thought worked pretty well on the dragonflies I posted yesterday. However, I don't think it does a very good job on dark and light boundaries. I reposted the magpie also because I could really see it there. I might try the FM Intellisharpen II plugin, but I'd like to get some feedback from somebody who has used it.

I like the 1.7 a lot, but have one issue. It seems a little loose on the camera and the 70-200VR also seems a tiny bit loose on it. I can wiggle it back and forth a bit on the camera after its locked on. It doesn't affect the picture quality - but I might take it in to the Nikon service center the next time I'm down in Vancouver and see what they have to say about it.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dennis,

After reading the comments on halos, I went back and looked but couldn't see them. Now I understand why. 8)

I use the FM Intellisharpen II plug-in and I absolutely love it. That and the FM Resize Pro have made a huge difference in my final results. I think that you've seen this already, but I'll repost it as an example of what these plug-ins can do:

[​IMG]

Very nice shots BTW. ;-)

9. May I sidetrack and ask about this plug in? How do they work? Are they plug ins for PS and would they work with PS7? Or are they standalones or do they work with something else? Frank, based on your consistant high quality output, I place your opinions in high regard. Please enlighten me.... :)

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    They are plug-ins that work in PS CS. I don't know about other versions, but you can probably find out at the FM site. As far as using them, they are just like any other PS tool (they are under the Automation sub menu in CS). They are very easy to use, and have several very nice options. The Intellisharpen II plug-in is $29.95 or so and Resize Pro (get the D2X version in your case Kevin) is $24.95 I believe.

I couldn't do without them now that I've used them.

11. Frank,

Thanks for the info on the FM Intellisharpen plugin. It certainly seems to do the job from what I've seen of your posts. My birthday is tomorrow so its a good excuse to order it!

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent shots. that 300mm/f4 is a sweet lens. I miss mine (sold it when I got the 500).