1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First Car Show - Advice?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by monkay, Jul 18, 2008.

1. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    I'm planning on going to Waterfest 14 this Sunday in Englishtown, NJ. It's the biggest VW/Audi show in North America and there will be more photo ops than I can imagine. (If you're coming out, let me know and maybe we'll meet up!) I've never been to it before, but I'm expecting big things.

So far my plan is to:
    Bring both my 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR; use 18-55 to walk around with and shoot the show cars and anything else that's close. Use 55-200 for any and all races/driving events.

I would definitely like to get some motion shots with the 55-200. The only thing I know about shooting cars in motion is to have a pretty slow shutterspeed (1/125th or so?) and to pan the camera with the car.

Other than that, I'm completely new at shooting cars. I'm a little worried that I'll miss shots that I just can't get until (at least) next year.

Any and all suggestions and/or tips you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    1/125 might be a little slow for panning - I like to start at 320 and work my way up or down depending on conditions there.

Keep in mind at e-town the sun crosses the track in mid day, causing you to switch lanes for the sunny side of the car.

3. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    I have been to waterfest before (when I worked for B&G Suspension)... a few times. It's a great show, but you are going to have a lot to contend with:

1. Horrible mid-day sun
    2. Stripes all over the area where the show cars are displayed
    3. Gobs and gobs of people!!!!!
    4. Barely any space between cars

That show is a photographers nightmare! It's a lot of fun if you like VWs!

4. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the tip Dave (that felt weird). Somebody else had told me to try to get your shutterspeed to around 1/speed of the car. (1/60th if the car is going 60 mph, etc.) Based on what you said though, that may be too slow. I am using VR lenses though, so maybe it won't be so bad?

Thanks for the heads-up 06FZ6. Now I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. What do you mean by stripes all over the area where the show cars are displayed?

5. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    Dreaded parking stripes!!! :eek:  They make me mad! Not that they aren't easy to PP out, its just that you ... well... you have to PP them all out! :mad: 

6. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    My experience is not with VR - so shutter speeds I am referring to are without it.

7. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    So, I take it you really enjoy these parking strips you speak of? :biggrin:

Oh okay. I'll experiment a little and shoot with a few different shutterspeeds.

8. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    Oh I L-O-V-E them! :mad: :mad: :mad: 

Oh.... and bring the widest glass you got as well! Once you step 8 feet from a car, 25 people will walk into your shot!

9. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    Haha. 8 feet? I was imagining anything more than 2 feet and my shot will be filled with some fat lady's butt. But yeah for the majority of the time walking around I'll be carrying my 18-55 VR

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.