First Composite - does it work?

As Joel Grime puts it in his tutorial - did I sell the fake? Or does it just look fake? I learned a ton doing this although I was up way too late last night working on this.

i-kNc6G49-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like it.:smile: The background toning is just soft enough to give a nice feeling of depth, and the figure does not look like it was a "drop-in".

Regards,

I can believe the lighting and overall balance of the image and at first sight all looks well and if you had not mentioned composite I perhaps would not have looked closer.

I think you did a good job in light of the fact that it would seem you do not do this often so I hope my comments may be seen as helpful rather than disparaging

The give away is the hair masking models right camera left. Cutting hair out can be a difficult task made worse by the state of the original hair image i.e. the background which the model was shot against

Not sure what technique you used refine edge in PS can work very well and of course there are more advanced methods that may prove more effective.

I'm far from an expert, but it looks convincing to me.

works for me too

I like it.:smile: The background toning is just soft enough to give a nice feeling of depth, and the figure does not look like it was a "drop-in".

Regards,

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

I can believe the lighting and overall balance of the image and at first sight all looks well and if you had not mentioned composite I perhaps would not have looked closer.

I think you did a good job in light of the fact that it would seem you do not do this often so I hope my comments may be seen as helpful rather than disparaging

The give away is the hair masking models right camera left. Cutting hair out can be a difficult task made worse by the state of the original hair image i.e. the background which the model was shot against

Not sure what technique you used refine edge in PS can work very well and of course there are more advanced methods that may prove more effective.
Tony -
This was the first "difficult" knock-out I've done and the spot (the hair just off her right shoulder) you pointed out is the one that gave me fits - even after viewing a couple of tutorials. I used CS6 with the quick selection tool and then tried to refine the edges to pick up the hair. I even tried OnOne's Perfect Remask but found that harder to use. I'm going to go back to rework the area as I think I just need a lot more practice at this...

The next one I'm doing will be in ski clothes and helmet which means no stray hair! :smile:

One key to doing this can be the background you shoot the model against assuming that you have the luxury of shooting yourself and not presented with an already shot image against a cluttered background.

I believe one of the easiest ways it to shoot against a mid grey background which is suitable for most hair colour types when it comes time to mask. By getting the background close to 128 RGB values you are able to take advantage of certain blending modes in PS that can make your life easier. Some like to use either Blue or Green screen techniques but I believe these methods are probably better reserved for video or tv.

Another key is the background you choose (assuming you have a choice). A cluttered dark background can mask any imprecise masking :wink:. Your background choice in this case bright against fairly light hair would make the job a little more difficult perhaps

One key to doing this can be the background you shoot the model against assuming that you have the luxury of shooting yourself and not presented with an already shot image against a cluttered background.

I believe one of the easiest ways it to shoot against a mid grey background which is suitable for most hair colour types when it comes time to mask. By getting the background close to 128 RGB values you are able to take advantage of certain blending modes in PS that can make your life easier. Some like to use either Blue or Green screen techniques but I believe these methods are probably better reserved for video or tv.

Another key is the background you choose (assuming you have a choice). A cluttered dark background can mask any imprecise masking :wink:. Your background choice in this case bright against fairly light hair would make the job a little more difficult perhaps

Thanks for the tips. The image of her was shot against black seamless but I think the rim lighting is making things a little more difficult. I need to find some more good tutorials and try the hair again.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom