First couples shoot - Need C &C and lots of it!

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by surrealillusion, Oct 5, 2008.

1. surrealillusion

surrealillusion

Aug 23, 2007
    Ottawa
    Hey all, today I took my first foray into doing photography for couples. Coming away from my first shoot I think I need to have some more creativity and spontenaity when it comes to capturing shots.

I found that one of the most difficult things was trying to get more natual looking shots as if you the photogapher was just another passerby who just happen to notice something.

I would appreciate thoughts, suggestions, comments and of course criticism!

http://picasaweb.google.com/digitaldreamwerx/SundayAfternoonWithEricAndKo#

2. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi there (not sure of your first name - maybe add to your signature?)

Nice first effort! I'm no expert but I've been reading a bunch of stuff recently on couples shots - you've asked for C&C so here are my thoughts:

- Great first attempt!

- Edit more carefully - almost half of the gallery are shots from behind them. I think if you have 30 or so pics you'd maybe want one or two of them from behind towards the end of the show to sort of end it and signify they are leaving

- Mix up your position - try taking them from a different angle or let them get further away from you before you take the picture

- #23 is a nice "from behind" shot as there is an interesting building in the background (I'm thinking maybe this has some meaning for them?) - I liked it

- Watch your aperture (I do this ALL the time so I'm really conscious of it at the moment) - you can't shoot wide open (i.e. f2.8 for example) if you have two people on different planes. When you shoot with a low number aperture you have a v shallow depth of field and so one person will be in focus and the other person will be a little soft. Photo 11 has GREAT focus on her eyes but he is a little soft

- Watch shutter speed if they're moving in to kiss - it looks like there is some blur on the one where they're kissing

- Maybe next time, get a little further away with a long lens and tell them just relax and chat/kiss/hug to get more relaxed shots

- Or make them do some crazy stuff just so they start laughing.

- Or - go the other way and so more posing. I had no clue about posing people (still don't really!) but I ended up buying this http://photographerstoolkit.com/Lookbook.html it's $75 (and I'm sure you could probably get the same sort of inspiration by googling "engagement photos" or something but I found it really cool.

- In a lot of the images the couple sort of fill the whole frame - maybe play with negative space - so put the couple somewhere to one side of the image with a cool building/background to the side??

- Take a look at the "formal portraiture" people area and you'll see some of the amazing wedding images that have been posted - they might give you some more info.

Keep going. I bet the couple will really like these images - I think they're a nice series!

What post-processing are you doing?

3. surrealillusion

surrealillusion

Aug 23, 2007
    Ottawa
    Totally agree, my gf noticed this as soon as I was done editing and wanted to get feedback on it

I think my challenge there was shooting with a shorter depth lens, I was using my 24-70. I could have used my 18-200 but I was concerned with it being cloudy that unless I had a really steady shot, shots from further away would looked blurred.

I believe the building in the background is the Supreme Court of Canada, no real meaning just happened to fall into the background :)

I think what happened during this shoot is was I was still using single point focus where I should have used a different focus system

Tried to fix what I could but you're right, I think for this photo I may have set my shutter speed to slow even though it was in Shutter mode.

- Maybe next time, get a little further away with a long lens and tell them just relax and chat/kiss/hug to get more relaxed shots

Was trying to get them to more relaxed by chatting with them, getting them to laugh etc, it's tough sometimes though haha

I'll have to check that book out, thanks!

Definately gives me some ideas for my next shoot, thanks!

- Take a look at the "formal portraiture" people area and you'll see some of the amazing wedding images that have been posted - they might give you some more info.

Keep going. I bet the couple will really like these images - I think they're a nice series!

Right now I just started with Lightroom last night, still a lot of things I need to figure out with the tool but I find it a lot easier to navigate than PS

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I think my challenge there was shooting with a shorter depth lens, I was using my 24-70. I could have used my 18-200 but I was concerned with it being cloudy that unless I had a really steady shot, shots from further away would looked blurred.

If you are far away and shooting at the 150-200 ish length then yes, you would need a longer shutter speed (I'm not 100% sure of the detail but as a general rule, if you're shooting at a focal length of 180mm, you would want your shutter speed to be at least 1/180 seconds to try to prevent blur)

If it's cloudy, you can increase your ISO. This will enable you to use a faster shutter speed.

Good luck!

5. I think it's going to be difficult to get natural photos when using a wide angle lens pointed at them from just a couple feet away. Definitely need a longer lens so you can give them some space. Not sure I care for the head shots from below. Looking up folks nose is rarely flattering. I think a lot of the photos could benefit from a subtle vignette to draw more attention to the couple instead of the background, which isn't really blurry enough in many shots.

6. surrealillusion

surrealillusion

Aug 23, 2007
    Ottawa
    Very true about the shots from below looking up, I was hoping to capture some of the lines from the opening under the canal as part of the background, but unfortunately I ended up being below them.

Yes I do notice that wedding photographers specifically like using the 70-200 (both Nikon and Canon) as one of their kit lenses for the day.

Thanks for the c&c Medic!