First couples shoot :)

I was helping a friend do a shoot of his friends so I decided to take a few snaps myself. Unfortunately I didn't have the freedom to use any off camera flash with my D40, but this is the best I could do.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

DSC_1873.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_1885.jpg

DSC_1886.jpg

DSC_1888.jpg

DSC_1900.jpg

DSC_1902.jpg

DSC_1910.jpg

DSC_1914.jpg

DSC_1916.jpg

DSC_1924.jpg

DSC_1938.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
great shoot. my only gripe is that a lot of the action shots don't seem very natural. almost like they were forced (1,6,8) 8 is cool in an artistic way. not really sure what is going on though.

great shoot. my only gripe is that a lot of the action shots don't seem very natural. almost like they were forced (1,6,8) 8 is cool in an artistic way. not really sure what is going on though.
8 was kinda a random snapshot :p

Yeah, it seemed like they were a little nervous or tense. Which is weird because the main shooter was friends with the girl for a long time.

some of them have too much angle for me

Point taken. I'll probably tone that down a bit next shoot.

Thanks for the input Oscar and gukdoe

I was helping a friend do a shoot of his friends so I decided to take a few snaps myself. Unfortunately I didn't have the freedom to use any off camera flash with my D40, but this is the best I could do.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I guess your friend was using off camera flash?

2+3 - is there flash on those, looking at the shadow behind them, what was flash adding in this scenario? Also the processing between them is different (jeans colour) which makes the first one look flat, consistancy is often a good goal

1,6,7,8,9 are taken in a lot of sun,. while running for shade is not always what you want to do you can see the amount of shadow - in 1 as well it is making the guy squint a lot,. relates back to whether your friend was using flash I guess because introducing a lot of flash might be how they were balancing out the shadows?

I guess your friend was using off camera flash?

2+3 - is there flash on those, looking at the shadow behind them, what was flash adding in this scenario? Also the processing between them is different (jeans colour) which makes the first one look flat, consistancy is often a good goal

1,6,7,8,9 are taken in a lot of sun,. while running for shade is not always what you want to do you can see the amount of shadow - in 1 as well it is making the guy squint a lot,. relates back to whether your friend was using flash I guess because introducing a lot of flash might be how they were balancing out the shadows?
My friend was using the off camera flash, The d40 doesn't even have a PC output to use with his PW setup, so I couldn't do much.

2-3, was my on camera SB-600. I see what you mean, I'll keep consistency in mind. If you could choose between the two editing methods, does one look better than the other?

1,6,7,8,9 were taken around noon when the light was getting super harsh. It was a clear sunny day. I would have preferred to shoot much earlier, but I was not in charge :p He was using his flash to try to overpower the sunlight when it was behind us to get the correct exposure for him.

Sadly even when we went to the shade I had a lot of trouble because I would meter for the couple, then the background would be completely blown out. Any suggestions on what to do in this situation? Other than shooting earlier or later in the day :p

which of the processing is better is very much personal choice (some might say 'style') but IMO consistancy is key,. personally I prefer the more natural of the two

harsh light is not always a bad thing and flash can be used to give some interesting images,. but most times I would look to place them in good light, think about light more than making the background scenic,. so for the last 2 there's some kind of fountain which is brighter,. the question is what was behind them shot the other way (from the fountain side)

2+3 the light is a lot more even,. and since you were not the principle photographer there were likely many restrictions but that is the type of area that probably has a lot of potential light-wise

edit - looking a bit more obviously was not possible to shoot from the fountain side w/o getting wet,. thing I was trying to say was about choose the light on the subject first (i.e. move them) and then shoot from a direction that gives a pleasing background etc

which of the processing is better is very much personal choice (some might say 'style') but IMO consistancy is key,. personally I prefer the more natural of the two

harsh light is not always a bad thing and flash can be used to give some interesting images,. but most times I would look to place them in good light, think about light more than making the background scenic,. so for the last 2 there's some kind of fountain which is brighter,. the question is what was behind them shot the other way (from the fountain side)

2+3 the light is a lot more even,. and since you were not the principle photographer there were likely many restrictions but that is the type of area that probably has a lot of potential light-wise

edit - looking a bit more obviously was not possible to shoot from the fountain side w/o getting wet,. thing I was trying to say was about choose the light on the subject first (i.e. move them) and then shoot from a direction that gives a pleasing background etc
The fountain does seem a little distracting now that I look at it. Unfortunately the other direction was a bunch of pool chairs being used. I could have shot to not include the fountain by moving into the water and turning the couple perhaps, but not to include the pool area.

2 and 3 was a more flash friendly area, but I didn't have any off camera flash setup so it was a bit hard for me to light them correctly without introducing too much shadow (shadow is white visible in #2) but then again I can probably clone them out if the shadow doesn't look as I want it to.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

not sure whether to thank me but happy to offer opinion, first shoot is fun,. will be fun when you are stood there on your own and a couple looking at you what to do :smile:

the 2+3 light-wise comment was about not using (or rather needing) flash,, it is adding nothing and yep can make interesting images there by adding flash but can make as-good w/o,.

I don't guess not using flash is for everyone but really question what is it that you need it for because many amazing beautiful stunning etc images are taken w/o any flash

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom