First Day At Merritt

Discussion in 'Merritt Island II' started by Gale, May 31, 2005.

1. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    No Pics from me today. I am pooped. Just reporting in to let you all know
    all is wel and we had a great time.

Day stated a Viera Wetlands, then on the the Brevard Zoo and then to Frank and Janies at the Beach.

Frank and Janie treated us to a wonderful bar-b-que and all the view we could handle from the wild and crazy beach here in the Cocoa Beach area.

Got some good ones.

Amongst the "Bunch" were Flew and Janie, Harry B, Kevin S, Gordon L, Thornton, and your truly Gale.

Patrick I sure love the "Gale" hat. Thanks you and Frank bunches.

Thats all for now.. Gotta run. 6:15 AM in Florida and we are off to The Alligator farm "Rookery".

Have a wonderful Day folks.

Pics to come soon.

2. Sounds like fun. I'll be up there Friday and Sunday. :D Meanwhile, the rest of us in the real world have to work. :(

3. 3 days of shooting and NOT ONE SINGLE PICTURE????????

4. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Dave,

I was ith the group on Monday. We shot the wetlands and the zoo. Tuesday they all left early to go to the rookery in St. Augustine. I opted not to go because the weather is very bad here. I think they may have stayed up there in St. Augustine, but today the weather is just as bad...I will try to contact them this morning...my power is out due to lightning strike...I have a few minutes left on my laptop battery....I am sure they will post some great shots when they return...

5. Well, I was thinkin that too.... 8)

6. WITH ALL THE NASTY WEATHER THEY MAY BE PARTYING. except Flew, of course, I can picture him in scuba gear shootin away.

7. Ahhh, you know Frank all too well. He'd shoot in a hurricane.

8. We're actually just trying to keep everyone in suspense! ;) Yesterday's storm was bad in Orlando and we lost power briefly too. My router's hosed now and I can't get online to post any photos. I didn't go to St Augustine yesterday because of the weather but did spend the day processing some of my pics ~ about 1500 from Sat and Mon. I'm at work today but don't have photos here and can't get online at home. Looking forward to Friday and another stab at the Rookery along with some better weather. Rarely do we have 2 days in a row without sun. :(

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ok OK here is one :>))

Click pond in Viera. A lesser tern I think.

Working on some others :>)))

10. Hi Gale, nice closeup! I thought this was a Lesser Tern also but when I described it to that birder that we saw at Viera he said it was a stilt. So I googled and found it's a "Black-necked stilt Himantopus mexicanus". One of the distinguishing characteristics is the white spot above the eye. These were the guys I was practicing on "in-flight shots" at Click Pond. Funny how they weren't next door at the Wetlands. Can't wait to see everyone else's.

11. Here's one of my fly-bys:
    [​IMG]

[Gale, did you get my pm?]

12. about time!

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great fly by Kevin.

You will cry when you see the others LOL....

Oppps got my ID wayyyy wrong.

14. Ok...here are 2 more. I think I may have posted these in another thread but I just checked and they are the only Viera photos on my site. I'll try to post some more tonight or tomorrow, once I get back online at home.

here's a tricolor heron:
    [​IMG]

here's a great white egret on the prowl:
    [​IMG]

sorry if they've been seen before...

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yep dup from Saturday :>)) But thats ok.

16. great, now we are getting some good stuff. keep em coming.

17. While at Viera, I ran into some guy who appeared to be an avid birder. Armed only with binoculars I met him on the path. He stopped and gave me some cool birding lessens. One bird in particular that he pointed out was the Least Bittern. He directed me where to look, explained his behavior, then explained how rare of a bird it was. He said that this one particular corner of the pond is the only place in Viera where this bird stays. He also mentioned that if I were to tell anyone in Michigan that not only did I see one but was photographing it they'd hardly believe me. It's apparently a rare bird to find. Anyway, here's the little guy, who behaved exactly as "my guide" stated. Not sure anyone else got a pic of him. He's very small and they were all shooting the Caracara (that I basically missed).

So here's the Least Bittern:
    [​IMG]

Gale posted a Black Belly Whistler so I have to show mine too. Someone asked if we were sure that's what it was called. According to my bird expert, I asked him and he confirmed that was indeed the Black Belly Whistler.
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple of GBH. Frank probably took a gig's worth of the guy on the decking. Here's my version before he posts and I lose my nerve. :wink:
    [​IMG]

And here's another GBH
    [​IMG]

Gale mentioned Click Pond which is basically adjacent to the wetlands. Here's a Green Heron amongst the reeds from there.
    [​IMG]

And lastly, a fairly decent shot of a flying Egret. I've been having trouble blowing out flying white birds so I was happy to see this one.
    [​IMG]

There, now is that enough, or do you need more? :p :wink:

18. Kevin,
    These are all very nice. The green heron is exquisite. Frank is probably knee deep in CF cards in his hotel room right now.

19. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good stuff Scott & Gale too

I'm really enjoying this birding trip vicariously. The Green Heron of Scott's is superbamundo!

20. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good stuff Kevin.

Great on the flying GWE..Looks great..

Yeah getting a handle on the EV is a (*(**&%%$&^^&)*(