First day w/D7000

I sold my D700, planning to buy D800 but decided to try out the D7000 after reading reviews and thinking that it would be beneficial with my long lenses.
Here's a shot from my first day with the D7K and Sigma 150-500 zoom at 500mm. Straight raw conversion in Aperture, no modifications other than crop.

7102321545_5d7e14db1e_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

thank you Larry,
I'm pretty much blown away with the color and detail in the petals.
I think this camera has some potential!
Dave

Very nice. That sensor is outstanding. From a dr and shadow noise perspective, I believe it outdoes a D700.

nice Dave, having done the same, im losing interest in the 800, for now, enjoying the 7000 as my DSLR, but more fun with M43.

Quite a change from a D700 to a D7000. The D7000 is a nice little camera but in my case, I would have waited for the D800, which was what you had in mind to begin with.
You are correct, for long lenses the D7000 because of its crop factor will be more useful than the D700 for sports and wildlife photography. I am not thoroughly familiar with either camera so I will not talk about resolution between one and the other if indeed tons of resolution is what you need.
The way I see it you now will be using lenses for full frame with a crop sensor. Actually, your wide angles are not that wide any longer. Your lenses, not designed for APS cameras will perform at the center and that could improve quality.
The D700 has one of the best AF modules made by Nikon. I am familiar with it because I use it all the time with my D300. I am not familiar with the AF module of the D7000 but without being familiar with the D7000 I question if it is better than the CAM-3100 of the D700. If you use AF often for wildlife or action soon you will know.
Many photographers are happy with the little D7000. I am sure that if it fits your needs you will also be a happy camper.
Good luck to you.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Hi William,
I thought a lot about the D800 and loss of wide angle but looking back over my files found that 75% of my D700 shots were tele or macro where the crop factor would be a plus. My wide angle is now limited to (35 equiv) 25mm but I can live with that or get a DX ultra wide if I miss WA too much. I don't think the difference in resolution will be a problem as I don't usually enlarge beyond 24x30 inch and the majority of work is 13x17 inch (A3+). More resolution and I use the MF w/P30 back, it's 31 mp (and makes huge files on the computer).
Still learning the camera so will be interesting to see if I miss the full frame down the road.

I have said it before -- for the money, I think the D7000 is the "best bang for your buck" in Nikon's fleet of incredible cameras.

I love mine. I have thought about FX caeras, and will buy one at some point, but I can't imagine any camera working that much better for the price difference. Oh, and buy a 10-24 and you get your WA back -

CSB2465-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom